[recipe] mom’s homemade lumpia

1. I have never heard of chickpeas in syrup!! Whaaaat. Cannot imagine what they would taste like especially in lumpia. THe bf loves lumpia though, I really want to make this! Thanks for sharing 😀

Hi J.S. – I am fairly certain the chickpeas in syrup is totally a Filipino only thing. I’ve never seen nor heard of it anywhere else. Just imagine this little burst of sweetness every once in awhile. It’s really good!

2. Darlene says:

YUM. I love lumpia and haven’t had it in years. I’ve never had one with raisins or sweet chickpeas in it though so maybe it differs from family to family?

Hi Darlene – Yeah, I’m certain every family has their own little secrets and additions. I haven’t seen ones with sweet stuff in them at other parties. The commercial ones have too much filler in them for me to like them much. I love my mom’s twist on it.

3. Yes, every family has their own recipe. I didn’t know the garbanzos your mom used were from a jar. Only one other person I know uses garbanzos in their lumpia. It does give it that extra flair!

My mom used to make separate batches, one with raisins (for me) and one without (for my sibling). She used to make her own wrapper too (back in the 70s before Asian markets).

Your lumpia is nice and crisp looking. I like those long ones too!!!

Hi CC – Yeah, they’re “special” garbanzos! Regular garbanzos would probably be kind of gross actually… Wow, you’re mom made her own wrappers, too! Totally hardcore man. But I understand if it was from way back then! No choice but to make your own. I remember when there were very few Asian markets around. The earliest one I remember going to was Woo Chee Chong in Downtown. I remember there was always this tiny refrigerator case in the front with these tiny drink bottles and I wondered what it tasted like (I don’t think I ever found out).

I love the intensity in your mom’s face and hands when she hand-combines all the ingredients! My grams is the same way when we make her dumplings. She INSISTS that using hands is the best way to incorporate all the ingredients (I of course have to slip on plastic gloves b/c I hate touching raw meats too). Never heard of adding those sweet chickpeas! How fascinating – maybe that’ll be your family’s legacy or trademark in these lumpias 🙂

In the pic where your mom is unfolding the wrappers, what is that in the basket on the side? Is that a type of bread (sorry – I think I’m just super hungry for bread right now ) –

Hi Faye – Our family legacy! I like the idea of that. I don’t know anyone else who uses it (though CC told me she knows someone else who does – it’s pretty rare, I think). In the basket is a bag of pandesal. Your bread radar does you credit. 😀

5. Lauren says:

Drool! I love that your mom uses garbansos! Boy, those look good. I haven’t had lumpia in sooo long.

6. Carol says:

Hi Mary, the lumpia looks so good but I would not have the patience to wrap so many little rolls. I wonder how they would be wrapped in egg roll wrappers?

• Mary says:

Hi Carol – The filling would be great in anything – dumplings, egg rolls, etc. Lumpia wrappers like this make the lumpia extra crunchy and crispy and there’s only a little meat in them so they cook up more quickly. Egg roll wrappers would probably give them a different texture but still be tasty!