big bite bacon fest – 2014 recap

1. Kirbie says:

nice round-up! So bummed to have missed this yet again. I don’t know why I keep being out of town during the weekend of this event. it wasn’t even held on the same weekend as last year but i still managed to schedule myself out of town before realizing i would miss this yet again

Thanks Kirbie! I don’t remember why they moved it to later in the fair, I liked it better when it was in June. Maybe you’ll make it next year πŸ™‚

2. Awesome post! I was looking forward to reading your wrap-up. I liked that you guys were very prepared too. Bringing containers helps. πŸ™‚

About those little caddies around your neck – was there a lid so it wouldn’t splash around and spill? Just curious.

Some of those items look really good like the PB bacon cups and the bacon wrapped shrimp and meatballs. There were others that looked like slop like the one that people stuck their forks in and served themselves and the burnt looking candied bacon piece. Sad.

I have a friend that would totally wear that ‘Bacontarian’ shirt. That’s pretty funny!

Hi CC – thanks! Having Tupperware helps a lot, I can save all the desserts for later! There was no lid for the caddy, we just didn’t fill them all the way up. No spills, luckily. Yeah, some places really put in the effort and some places messed up, oh well. It was mostly good eats πŸ™‚

3. Hernando says:

Thanks Again! Such a good time, I did have the Slater’s 50/50, but the Burger was so heavy it was like eating a bacon filed hockey puck… And it was kind of dry, I think it had ketchup in it, but…. It needed more, Agree with you on the M’oinks though, best ever!

You are welcome, Mr. Bacon Fest winner! Yeah… Jake and I already don’t really care for Slater’s and the line was so long that we figured skipping it wouldn’t hurt us. But that doesn’t sound like good eats! I don’t like their 50/50 patty, it’s like they have to overcook it to get the bacon done. Ugh. The M’oinks though, DAMN those were some tasty little morsels of goodness! Happy to hear you had fun and glad we could meet up for a little bit.

4. Lynn says:

candied pork belly sounds sooooo good. the bacon peanut butter and chocolate cups are something i’d want to try too! BUT that burnt candied bacon looks awful. is that the way it was SUPPOSED to look!? anyway i see there’s plenty of food, more than the bacon and barrels thing! i tried to contact them for media but didn’t get a response. oh well. i’m still good with doing the ‘taste of’ events since they are a little more affordable. i don’t drink beer much anyway.

Hi Lynn – It seriously took me a long time to get together with them for this – like at least a month in advance. They’re not a big company so it’s helpful to contact them early. Try again next year! πŸ™‚

I … hope that the candied bacon wasn’t supposed to look like that… it really looked like they just left it in there way too long. I was iffy about even trying it because it looked burnt and my eyes were right haha.

I wish you took a pic of the tupperware and instructions on how to stuff that baby when you go to these events. I must learn.

I want to try that Ghost Scream hot sauce. I’ve been looking for spicy bbq sauce so I wonder if I can just add that scream sauce to whatever bbq brand I find? I wonder what the sauce tastes like on its own.

The chocolate cup sample looked so good! Esp with dark chocolate. I haven’t been to Donut Bar. Bacon donuts always look so good but end up tasting weird to me for some reason.

I didn’t know if this event would be worth going to as I heard there’s just ALOT of people and samples run out quickly. But your post makes me want to book tickets for next years Bacon Fest. Is the VIP admission available for the general public to purchase?

Hi Faye – This time we took four tupperware containers with us and put “meats” together and desserts together separately so they wouldn’t touch. At past event we just brought two and stuffed it all together but I found it was kinda gross having dessert/savory mixed together. I’ll take photos of our tupperware in the future just for you!

Yeah, I think you’d be able to spicy up whatever BBQ sauce you normally like with the addition of hot sauce. This is a theory though, since I would never actually do it πŸ˜›

VIP admission is available for anyone, I think it’s $20 more for VIP admission and the beer sampling was also optional. They’re having another Bacon Fest up in Long Beach in a couple of weeks, too, if you feel like going to Long Beach (it’s on the Queen Mary): http://bigbiteevents.com/