july 4th bbq recap

1. We are potato salad likes and dislikes twins. Haha.

I HEARD about that 40k potato salad. Jeez man. Your version looks delish. I’ve never thought about using fresh corn in a potato salad.

Your dads ribs are beautiful. Did the bbq happen at your place? Question: do you use your charcoal bbq as a smoker as well? Or is the smoker a separate contraption? I love the meat color of the ribs. That’s how I like ribs prepared – pink and with a pull on the bone too!

And your ice cream cookies – I just opened the link – dang it. I want to make those cookies sooo bad right now.

Hi Faye – There was this little deli in San Marcos that I used to go to when I worked up north and I adored their potato salad, which had corn in it. That’s what inspired me to put corn in mine! Fresh off the cob, if you can swing it. It gives a little crunchiness to the potato salad that I love (though you could also achieve this with celery if you like celery).

Yes, the BBQ was at our house. We have three grills… one gas, one for smoking and my dad got another “regular” one, haha. One grill is specifically set up just for smoking. We’re hardcore like that. But it’s just a regular grill. You can set the setup for smoking on this post: http://food.theplainjane.com/2013/06/21/recipe-smoked-pork-butt/ – if you’re interested πŸ™‚

3. Kirbie says:

getting sick in the summer always makes me mad! hehe. I was trying to take extra precautions this week because I spent the weekend with a friend who was sick. Glad it’s just a little cold!

Hi Kirbie – I always take lots of Emergen-C at the brink of a cold so I think that helped a lot! Summertime sickness is always the worst! I am feeling better today though. Yay πŸ™‚

4. Wow good eating. That’s my fav way to eat, -outside on a lovely day with tons of yummy goodness, minus the bugs flying around of course. Now I am craving potato salad. Mmm corn! I’ve been eating a lot of corny lately too. Just can’t get enough of corn. Hope you are feeling better. And I hope they do come out with more pleasant scented Kleenex soon too! lol. They should join forces with Bath and Body works or something haha.

Hi Miss Kim – It sure is nice outside today. I had lunch outdoors and it was beautiful out. I almost forgot I still have a touch of a cold, haha. I try to always eat a ton of corn in the summer since it tastes the best right now! I can only hope for pleasant scented tissues in the future hahah! (I’m still hoping for the cookie scented tissues)

5. OMG, those ribs look fab!!! I like that bbq label too, I probably would have bought it as well!

What, no pickle relish in your potato salads???? That’s the only pickled thing I’ll eat, relish, but only on hot dogs and in potato or mac salad.

Hi CC – My dad makes some pretty damn tasty ribs! I’m totally a sucker for amusing labeling. Luckily the Rufus BBQ also tasted really good! I like my BBQ sauces on the sweeter side.

Noooope, I don’t like pickles of any kind! I don’t like relish at all πŸ™

6. Lynn says:

I’d want to try that Rufus Teague bbq sauce. I don’t think I’ve found my ‘sweet’ bbq sauce yet! I’ve got a favorite smokey with a little kick one though (recipe from a friend).

Mmm ribs. I’d eat that all. I’m kinda liking tri tip recently though. Hubby is getting good at cooking them medium rare. Yum. I have to say I thought your melting ice cream sandwiches were pretty funny though! You couldn’t wait a little bit for the cookies to cool off!? I think I will try making them since I’ve got the coconut oil (currently in liquid form).

Hi Lynn – I actually want to try making my own sweet BBQ sauce and experience a little more. I made that whiskey BBQ once not too long ago but don’t think it’s perfect yet. I did like the Rufus Teague though, it was sweet but not overbearing so I really enjoyed it.

Haha, I had read some article about the “perfect” ice cream sandwich was to use warm cookies so that the ice cream melts a little while you’re eating it. And since I was gonna eat it immediately after the photo… well, you can see where that thought went. I should have used cold cookies for my photos and warm cookies for my belly πŸ™‚