The buffalo wings I put up yesterday turned out good despite the oven mishaps. But on the flip side of that, I also made a recipe that was a total fail. It hurts a little to think about it. But I document it anyway because I’m some kind of glutton for punishment. And maybe I’ll have an idea later on how to make this work eventually!
I had this brilliant idea: I wanted to a cross-hybrid of calzones with won-tons and I would call them WONZONIES. I love this name since it’s so close to Zamboni. Jake helped me come up with it. It was also semi-inspired by some pizza egg rolls we had at Fat Sal’s in Pacific Beach. My complaint about those were that there was too much sauce and not enough cheese. So I was going to try and do that, but with won tons and all cheese. And I was going to bake it! And boy, that sounded like a good idea.
I added some Italian herb seasoning to some ricotta.
And then I put the ricotta down with cubes of some fancy mozzarella cheese I got at Whole Foods. Seriously – if you can spring for it, get you some of this here mozzarella. Is it SO YUMMY. I’m kind of sad I wasted it in this recipe.
Use water to seal and pinch up the edges. Hoo boy. I didn’t get a ton of air out but I figured I was baking them. Who cares.
Then I decided to brush them with olive oil for some reason. Due to the oven issues, they sad out for a long freakin’ time and the wrappers started looking a bit peckish and soggy. I should not have done the olive oil thing until later, or kept them in the fridge or something.
This is when the oven would go past 350 – I was hoping for at least 425 to make sure they got nice and crisp. I tried frying a couple but they just disintegrated in the frying oil and became a gloopy mess. I decided to just stick them in the oven anyway…
And this is how it came out. Almost burnt on the edges with no color at all in the middle. Maybe if I flipped them it would have worked out but they were a bit fragile.
This is how the side turned down on the pan looked – semi-crisp. Not at all what I imagined.
Jake insisted that he liked them and that they were still good. He liked that they were “foldable” and made it easier to dip in the sauce. I just thought they were embarrassing and was glad I didn’t have to serve them to guests. Vaguely chewy, too soft, slightly burnt edges, semi-warm-ish cheese middle… just a fail, fail, fail.
At least my “wonzonies” were sort of edible. I might revisit this in maybe egg roll form? Maybe the additional wrapper would help keep it sturdy and a short frying time would make it work out. Or maybe cheese is just too unstable for this application and that’s why they used so much sauce. I don’t know! All I know is at least I tried. And the homemade meat sauce I made was damn tasty, as where the huge twice baked potatoes. It wasn’t all a total loss… but certainly not a win! Better luck next time, Wonzonies.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- fluffy homemade pancakes & candied bacon
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- tom’s chinese bbq + dim sum / city heights – san diego (8)
- mary: Hi Kirbie – Thanks for the explanation about the buns – I feel like I asked for pineapple and then couldn’t remember. All I remember...
- Kirbie: I love those little footballs. Hehe. You can find them at most dim sum places which is nice. Hmm, I think the bun you got in the last picture is the...
- mary: Hi CC – Um. Yeah, I *think* I’m gonna have to pass on the pig rectum for all subsequent visits…
- caninecologne: Yum, pig rectum. Not. At least you guys tried this place out and liked a few things!
- mary: Hi Faye – I was excited that it was so cheap! I wasn’t really that grossed out by the windows/panels, either, it was like… it made it...
- Faye: Oh man you made out like a bandit! I’m not sure why I’m not grossed out by the yucky window food panel thingies. I think I’m just...
- mary: Hi Teresa – Oh, that’s a good way to describe them, they were sort of football shaped haha!