turkey day!

Happy post Thanksgiving! I’m going to try the yam recipe – how long do you put them in the microwave for? And what oven temp do you use for the 2nd bake and for how long?

I wish I knew how to make turkey gravy from scratch. I have yet to do so. So if your mom’s recipe is easy, let me know

All the food looks amazing – I’m not a fan of pumpkin pie but surprised Costco’s version wasn’t very good.

Hi Faye! For the yams, you want to pierce them with a knife and then microwave them for 8-10 minutes (depends on your microwave). For the second bake, we did it at 325, but that’s because we already had the oven on at that temp. 350 works too if you want a “golden” more crunchy crunch – I’d say for 15-20 minutes.

My mom’s recipe I believe uses turkey stock (made from the neck bones pulled out from the turkey), flour, and turkey drippings. I don’t know the exact recipe for that one!

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Faye!

Happy Thanksgiving! Looks so yummy, especially that stuffing!! 🙂 We didn’t bother with the traditional spread this year and just went out for Chinese food, and then having hot pot tonight! I did miss the festivities a bit, though! Maybe next year I’ll be cooking, too 😀

Hi Jinxi – Happy Thanksgiving to you, too! Hot pot sounds like a fun, non-traditional way to celebrate Thanksgiving. It’s all about who you spend it with, rather than what you do/eat exactly. It is the one holiday that I don’t mind always repeating the same foods from the year before.

3. Happy belated Thanksgiving! Sounds like you and Jake enjoyed a great meal! 🙂

4. sabas says:

Awesome dinner! Those yams looked amazing. Did you bake the mashed potatoes?

Hi Sabas – We did bake the mashed potatoes, but it was more of a “too get them warm again” kind of thing. The yams were really really good. Just a touch of sweetness, just the way I like them.

5. Cathy says:

Happy Thanksgiving. I ‘practice’ making sides all year, as well as a turkey now and then (they were on sale at Fresh and Easy in October and many stores will have them on ‘clearance’ after the New Year) and it’s just a nice meal. Your stuffing and the turkey photo looks great!

Hi Cathy – It’s a wonder I don’t make the stuffing more often, I love it so much. Any kind of stuffing really. My mom likes to buy the turkey wings and cook those sometimes for dinner which are pretty darn good on their own.