I finally went to H Mart! Considering it’s pretty much around the corner from my house, I’m surprised it took me this long to finally visit. Laura and I had fun poking around in the store before we got some food to take back to my house to continue our Downton Abbey marathon (we only 2 episodes left! yay!).
The first thing I noticed is that the layout is pretty much the same as the old Ralphs, they didn’t change too much around there. But, one half of the store is “American” stuff and the other half is “Asian” stuff. Towards the entrance, there’s a hot food stand serving up various kinds of Korean food and a “to go” area with pre-packaged stuff.
In the large veggie area, I spotted these neat soup starters. They had everything you’d need to make a basic soup stock – including onions, carrots, leeks, herbs and more – all cut up and ready to drop into a pot. I haven’t seen anything like that before all packaged up for you, so I thought it was a cool idea.
There was a good variety of apples here along with other fruits, herbs and veggies that I have never seen before. I didn’t know what a lot of the stuff was even used for.
I also saw these: Grapples. I’ve heard of them before but haven’t seen this fruit that “crunches like an apple, tastes like a grape”.
I wasn’t feeling brave enough to get it – especially not a whole package of four. I’d rather just get one in case I thought it was gross. Because, honestly… it sounds kind of gross. Does it taste like a real grape, or grape flavor? Because “grape” flavored things never ever taste like grapes to me. They taste… purple.
Yeah, I don’t know what that means either.
I also saw purple yams!
Though, these aren’t quite like the purple sweet potatoes I used for that sweet potato pie since the outsides are white – but I did see one cracked open and it was indeed purple inside. I don’t think these would be quite as bright as my pie, but might be a fun substitute to try if you can’t find the bright purple ones.
We started wandering the aisles and came across the tea/honey aisle. I bought some tea for my reddit secret santa person and then stood in awe of the very large honey display behind me. All kinds of honey too – red ginseng honey, raw honey and “really raw” honey, honey powder, bee pollen… I mean, I’m sure somehow I knew this many kinds of honey stuff existed… I’d just never seen it all together before. Phew!
They also have fun Asian snacks – my favorite to browse through – from different countries, such as the Philippines, Japan, Korea, and China. My reddit secret santa person also maybe got a lot of Asian snacks… like Korean popcorn, and cracker nuts. Strange foods are always fun, if you ask me.
There’s also a Paris Bakery inside which I sadly didn’t get to try since they were pretty much out of everything by the time we got over there. I’ll save it for another day though and hope to get to try their bakery treats later.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- mary: Hi Darlene – It was kind of hard for us to find since we were looking for a separate building. It looks weird being at the bottom of an office...
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Janice – Yeah, my mom isn’t really an adventurous eater. She didn’t used to be so critical about everything food-wise, but she...
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib (12)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Hmm, I’m not sure how they found me, I didn’t ask! I think they were just shooting in the dark and hoped I would use it....