fun finds at h mart

1. Vicky says:

hahaha I totally know what you mean about the grape thing.. you might run the risk of eating something that tastes vaguely like Dimetapp!! the last (and only) time I’ve gone into h mart, parking was HORRIBLE, but that was a few weeks ago.

Hi Vicky – Grape… you say “it’s grape flavored” to me, I say, “No, thanks”. It always tastes awful to me! Parking is a little better now but still not really fun… I’m hoping it dies down a bit more eventually.

I totally understand fake grape flavor tasting purple! I think I’ve tried a grapple before, but it didn’t really taste like a grape OR purple. It kind of just tasted… overly sweet?

I’m happy H Mart opened up because it’s closer to us, but I so wish the parking was better!

Oh good, I’m glad someone else understands me heheh. “Overly sweet” doesn’t sound good, either. I think I’ll just skip it. The lot is pretty small here, I don’t think they anticipated that many people interested in going!

3. one of these days, i’ll have to check out this new place, plus paris baguette.

i like the pre-packaged vegetables. seafood city does something similar (and i think thuan phat as well). i’ve seen it done for veg. used in pinakbet (bittermelon, kabocha squash and long beans), and another dish that uses eggplant. i think that idea is pretty cool.

I love the idea for the pre-packaged veggies – sometimes you just want enough stuff to make 1 thing and not buy everything separately. Decent price, too! Paris Baguette is still in my sights!

4. Sandy says:

I finally made a visit on late Sunday afternoon, thinking it wouldn’t be too crowded. Wrong! I’m going to have to make another visit on a weekday when it’s hopefully not so hectic. I didn’t try to check out Paris Baguette because of the long lines.

Hi Sandy – Yeah, I think weekends are still bad. I was able to visit on a Sunday night but it was still pretty crowded. Weekdays might be a good bet.

5. I just went today to pick up stuff to make soondubu. I really liked the produce selection, the seafood section, and the korean marinated meats section. I’m glad to have another place to get cheap produce. I’ve lived in SD for almost 10 years now and still balk at prices of green onion and cilantro in “American” stores (i.e. Ralphs, Vons, etc.). The big issue I do have with HMart from my first and only visit is that I felt like it was a bit of a clusterf***. I swear I was going up and down aisles and back up just to look for basic stuff. None of the employees are of any help in locating anything and checkout needs better training on how to bag items. It’s not that hard. I think i’m better off carrying a basket or just having The Dude park our cart somewhere while I go on a scavenger hunt. I need to try Paris Baguette next! The marinated meats by the way are DELICIOUS. Just cooked up bulgogi tonight and we couldn’t stop eating it.

Hi! They do have a large produce section and just so much stuff! Like lots of stuff I’ve never seen before, and it does seem a bit haphazard… I thought it was all organic stuff until we made our way to the “Asian” side of the store. Hopefully they’re still just “working out the kinks” of the store and things start running a little more smoothly. I’ll have to try out the marinated meats soon!

6. Darlene says:

Paris Baguette is wonderful. I’ve gone three times already and they seem to have a rotating pastry selection so if you’re going back to try that one thing again, you’ll be SOL. Best time to go is right when it opens but pastry selection may be still building up. As for the rest of the store, it’s HUGE. I love that everything is so clean and new.

Hi Darlene – Thanks for the information! When I stopped by the bakery I pretty much only saw names of things and didn’t see any actual pastries so my heart isn’t set on anything. But good to know it rotates, which could be good and bad. The produce is so cheap that I will have to keep it in mind and part of my shopping rotation.

7. Seth Resler says:

I visited a H Mart outside of Boston a few years ago. The produce section alone was eye-opening! We went on a day where they did a lot of sampling, which was great.

Seth Resler
    Founder, Mystery Meet

8. Mary,
    I haven’t heard of H Mart. And now I can’t wait to go. LOVE the idea of a soup starter, that’s bloody brilliant. Happy Holidays to you and your family.