pete mayo’s waffle burgers / lincoln park – san diego, ca

1. Minxi says:

Aww that’s so sad the churros weren’t so good 🙁 I normally love churros! The chicken n waffles looks really good – the chicken looks very crispy!

2. Jenny says:

The chicken in the sandwich looks amazing. Can’t wait to stop by and check it out one of these days.

If you haven’t already, check out Bruxie next time you’re in the OC area. They have some interesting waffle sandwiches.

Thanks for sharing!

3. Imperial Ave has a lot of interesting ethnic restaurants that are worthy of exploration. Sometimes you gotta just go down to the ‘hood for some good eats. It’s not all frou frou urban hipster stuff in the so-called cool areas.

Jake’s chicken waffle sandwich looks great! and how nice of him to trade with you too!!!! points on his man card!

4. Kirk says:

Hey Mary – Been trying to get here for a while, but the place is never open…..it seems like the hours vary. A friend of mine who knows “Petey” has been telling me about the place for months. I was told that Pete originally served folks in his home. What a story.

Hi Kirk – We were told the hours I listed in my post by one of the workers but who knows if they stick to them? Hope you get a chance to check it out sometime.

5. Erin says:

I’m surprised the grilled-from-frozen waffle didn’t bother you. That was my main complaint when I reviewed this burger for A Hamburger Today on Serious Eats. If a place is going to make waffle burgers (and sandwiches) their claim to fame, they should make the waffles from scratch. Could have been SO MUCH BETTER.

Hi Erin – I guess I don’t mind Eggo’s? I can see your point though – the waffles should be made fresh if that’s going to be their thing. Everything should be made fresh and from scratch if they really wanted to maximize the flavor. In the end though the beef bothered me more than the waffle!

6. MaiMai says:

Like Jenny said above, in the OC area (specifically old town Orange) there’s a popular waffle shack called Bruxie that serves gourmet waffle sandwiches and dessert waffles. I’ve had the waffle burger before and it’s great! Here’s their website: http://bruxie.com/

7. Lizzy says:

I have one of these irons and make excellent real waffleburgers.

Make sure u use it outside. Makes excellent waffles as well!!

Need to lose weight!!! Eating to many of them!!!

Lizzy