Jake, T and I were in my ‘hood one Saturday afternoon and I decided I wanted to try this Filipino place. But then when we got to the Filipino place, I remember that the Original Pancake House was right next door and I suddenly wanted pancakes instead! Sometimes I just don’t know where my stomach is going to take me.
I haven’t been to this location in forever, but it’s pretty much the same as the one in Clairemont.
Here are some sides that our waitress brought out first – the lingonberries for T’s pancakes, some applesauce and sour cream and some butter.
These are T’s Swedish Pancakes – which look like crepes! These are very thin and kind of holey (they say “lacy” on the menu), resulting in a thin and delicious pancake. I had a couple of bites and it was really tasty – excellent with the lingonberries. I’m pretty sure the only other place I’ve had lingonberries is at IKEA!
Jake and I did the split the plate thing – we shared some sausage and biscuits and some potato pancakes. I can’t remember if we ordered these separately or if it was one meal or what… apparently I decided to not take notes that day. Hmph.
I do remember that it was all deliciously good. The biscuits & gravy were not the best I’ve ever had (I’m looking at you, Toby’s 19th Hole) but they were good. The potato pancakes were a little thinner than what I’m used to having, resulting in a crispier potato pancake – good, but a little different. I like mine topped with sour cream. Lush and creamy is how I like it.
These are their home fries/potatoes thing. It was sort of like a cross between home fries and mashed potatoes, minus all of the weird crap that places usually put into their home fries (ie, bell peppers and onions and things, which I don’t like).
I couldn’t decide if I really liked these or not. I liked that it was a creamier consistency with some crispness from the outside of the potato. In the end I didn’t eat much of it – too many other carb happy things were going on for me to want much more of it. Jake totally dug it.
And bacon! What’s breakfast without bacon? A sad breakfast, my friends.
The bacon here is really thickly sliced – a little chewier than I like, but the quality is very good.
Jake thinks this is “bacon like he remembers it as a kid”. He must have more vivid bacon memories than me.
All in all, the Original Pancake House has been consistently good over the years – the pancakes are always excellent – and don’t forget a cup of coffee! I didn’t take a photo of it, but it’s rich and smooth and I love putting lots of deliciously bad cream into it – so good!
See my original post about the Original Pancake House in Clairemont.
The Original Pancake House
14905 Pomerado Road
Poway, California 92064
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi CC – I think you’ll like it here! There’s so much more stuff to try and it’s as good as it was at Deli SA – plus more...
- mary: Hi J.S. – Thank you! I visited Brazil by the Bay awhile good – that place is good, too. Though mostly I just remember the cheese bread.
- caninecologne: Gotta check this out! I remember liking their meat pies from the one time I went when they were still Deli SA (after that family nearly...
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Your picture of the sandwich + fries is amazing! And I think I would love the milk tart too. This place reminds of Brazil by the Bay...
- mary: Hi Jinxi – I hope you do! They have interesting looking stuff on their menu. I also want to try all of their desserts again!
- Jinxi: Mm I’ll have to check out this place! I’ve never had South African cuisine before. The desserts look yummy, and I’m quite intrigued...
- jeong won korean bbq buffet / kearny mesa – san diego, ca (9)
- Truely: Taegukgi is over price. They don’t explain much between 21.99 and 25.99. Sorry, it is my first and last. I will explain to all my friends. word...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits