I’ve lived in San Diego just about all of my life, and I hadn’t been here until last year. What’s wrong with me? Do I not love pancakes? No. That’s not it. I was just sheltered. I thought IHOP was decent enough in the past, but now I know better. There’s places like the Original Pancake House to bring you out into the world and away from tolerable pancakes to excellent pancakes. And yeah, it’s also a chain, but it’s a better chain.
The dutch baby pancake is not only a sight to behold, but it’s delicious with butter, lemon and sugar on top. No syrup here, folks, unless you really want to slab it on there. It’s baked in the oven and covered with goodness and puffs up just so to fill your entire plate with pancake happiness.
I also tried the pecan pancakes. I was really debating between the pecan pancakes and a lovely thing I spotted called “bacon pancakes” but the pecan craving was stronger on this particular visit. But don’t you worry. Bacon pancakes will be in my future. From the description it sounded like they A) put bacon into the pancake batter and B) put bacon on top of the cooked pancakes. Ohhh yes.
So anyway. The pecan pancakes were just what I wanted that day, a mouthful of crunchy pecan goodness. The pancakes were light and fluffy and the syrup didn’t taste fake like that stuff that’s made with molasses and doesn’t even have a hint of maple in it. I haven’t tried anything but the pancakes here, but if you insist then be my guest, but maybe you should have gone to the Original Omelet House instead. Also, I don’t even remember if they have omelets, but again, I think my point still stands.
You should go here. But be forewarned, the parking lot is small and sparse and you might be circling the lot for a bit. Sunday mornings are usually packed and you may be waiting a while, but it’s worth it.
The Original Pancake House
3906 Convoy Street
San Diego, California 92111
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca (1)
- Faye: Minion!!! Oh, it’s so nice to see you post again. I’ve been wanting to try this place. I called them the other day to inquire about their...
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)