Chef John’s Fish and Chips is tucked in on the other side of Broadway in Lemon Grove, a little bit away from the main drag and the famous giant lemon. It kind of looks like it’s in an old Arby’s or Long John Silvers, but I don’t know for sure if that’s what it was – my days of venturing into Lemon Grove are a bit sparse these days.
Jake and I opted to share a few items to get a feel for the food here. Our order was taken by a very nice Asian lady and was passed onto an Asian chef – I assume Chef John – to make. We could see him making our food to order while we waited in one of the booths.
[squeezy sauce bottles]
We were brought these squeezy bottles full of sauce along with our food. I was amused that they were labeled. I think of lot of places would just make you guess and probably not even bring you ranch unless you asked for it.
[fish and chicken strips combo - $7.99]
We got the fish and chicken basket. Jake is normally not a seafood eater, but he does like fish and chips… go figure. Fried fish though generally doesn’t taste super fishy though, so I get that train of thought at least.
The chicken strips were pretty good for what they were. Nice strips of white meat, not too overly greasy. Lightly seasoned and tasty.
[fried fish inside]
The fried fish was made with cod. It was hand battered and fried to a nice crisp – not super greasy, either. The fish was very tender and came apart pretty easily. I especially liked the crispness of it – nice and crunchy but still retaining the fish flavor. Jake thought this was one of the best pieces of fried fish he’s had.
[side of fried shrimp - $3.99]
I also got a side of fried shrimp, which turned out to be tempura battered. These shrimp were just okay. They needed a little more seasonings (or something) to give it a little bit of extra flavor to stand on their own. They didn’t taste really plump or delicious – just average, as far as shrimp go.
[hush puppies - $2.49]
The hush puppies, on the other hand, were delicious. Most of the time when I order hush puppies, they come to me way overcooked and almost black – but these were cooked to a perfect golden brown, resulting in a lighter, more moist hush puppy. The balance of flavor and seasonings with the cornmeal was perfect here and Jake and I wolfed these down with a daub of honey on every bite.
[not gonna smile... not gonna smile...]
Here’s Jake, being a goof and refusing to smile for me. Geez.
[religious book corner]
Up at the counter, you can also brush up on your religious reading, if you so desire. Fried fish + religion, who would have thunk?
Here’s their own whole menu, if you’re interested!
Chef John’s Fish and Chips has been serving the community of Lemon Grove for about 8 years. It’s good food for a fair price!
Chef John’s Fish & Chips
Lemon Grove, CA 91946
Hours: Monday – Saturday, 11AM-8:30PM
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!