great bao – las vegas, nv

I didn’t realize the place was IN the salon! When I was looking it up, I thought it was next to the salon.

Those buns look so good! Better than the ones we had at Bacchi Burger (it was on DD&D and my parents love it). Next time we’re in Vegas, I’m going to go find Great Bao!

2. kirbie says:

Oh this place looks good! I love that it’s in a salon. Though I guess it will be good for business for them to move out of it. heh. Too bad I can’t visit before they move out.

3. Sandy says:

How did you hear about this place? I was just in Vegas last week, and would have loved to try it out. Next trip!

4. mary says:

Hi Leanne – Yup, totally inside! It’s probably for the best they’re going to moving, to hopefully a larger location. I hope they have a new place set up by the time I’m out there again.

Hi Kirbie – It was definitely one of the most unique locations I’ve ever seen for a food shop!

Hi Sandy – I found it on yelp – doing a search for “quirky restaurants” – it was the very first listing!

5. great minds think alike, heh heh. the things we do in our search for quirky eats! i like how each sandwich was diff’t. what a great deal that was. if we ever go to vegas, we will totally check this place out!

6. ryan says:

I enjoy your very detail and descriptive blog; it’s amazing that one’s curiosity can come across the little sandwich shop in the middle of odd shopping strip. The photos along with a detail paragraph of each bao were both eye pleasing and mouth watering. The back story with the owner and how his business was setup in a salon store was interesting. I wish you could follow up with the owner and if he plans to expand his bao shop in different city or will it be exclusive in Las Vegas? I wished you could’ve reviewed the other bao sandwich rather than tasting only one and which bao was your favorite?
    I find your outline to be great format to follow; it’s very helpful to grabbing audience’s attention and their stomach. It’s great that you ignore what you eyes see and went with your gut feeling and to be rewarded with a delicious treat. I hope there’s a bao shop like that in Southern California or something similar to that. You have just made a follower to your blog and I hope to read more of your tasty adventures.

Hi Ryan – Thanks for your comments! I wish I could have tried other Bao shops, too, but we were limited on time and this was the only one we tried. My favorite of the three I tried was either the pork belly or the chicken… the chicken had a really nice, crispy skin on it that I loved. Hope you continue to enjoy my other adventures and that you share your thoughts with me!

7. K Pham says:

They look awesome!

It is a pity it is moving out of the hair salon, would be such an original and quirky setup but i suppose booming business would dictate a move into larger premises. Definitely on my list for next trip to LV.

K

8. Jenny says:

I love Great Bao! My favorite was also the pork belly.

Thanks for the update regarding them closing, so I can also update my entry. I read it was because the salon was recently sold and the new owner’s won’t honor their lease for the space. They relaunched their food truck and hopefully will be getting a new space soon. Can’t wait to go back and check out their new spot though.

Hi Jenny – I loved this place when I went so I was so sad to hear that they were getting kicked out. What a bummer! Hopefully they are set up shop in a better location by the time I visit Vegas again.