I kind of want to go and make these again. Right now.
These are super tasty and super easy treats that you can make. I brought them to the San Diego Food Blogger’s Bake Sale last month and am finally getting around to posting about them! I first spied this on Brown Eyed Baker’s website and knew I had to try it.
Peanut butter and chocolate is, after all, one of my all time favorite combinations.
Make the rice krispies!
Get yourself a bag of Reese’s peanut butter cups. You can tell this was right after Easter, since I used peanut butter eggs instead. They were on clearance! And yes, you need a whole bag.
Chop it up! Chop it up! Doesn’t have to be finely slices or anything, but it helps if it’s smaller pieces. You’ll see why in a second.
Take about 1 and 1/2 cups of peanut butter and melt it in the microwave. Takes about a minute. You want it perfectly smooth. I used Jif but that’s just because we had a gigantor jar of it in the pantry. Normally I’d want to use some crazy all natural peanut butter cause that’s how I roll, but I used what we had on hand.
See how nice and smooth and melty the peanut butter is? Perfect. Drop all of your Reese’s into that while it’s still warm and mix, mix, mix until smooth. It’ll turn a little dark from the chocolate and you’ll want to eat it as-is. I don’t blame you. Be sure to save the spoon for licking.
You’ll want to slather the peanut butter mixture on top of the naked rice krispies treats. I like to let that set up for a bit in the fridge and then melt my chocolate chips in the microwave. Microwave the chocolate chips in 30 second increments – stirring between increments. When the chocolate is nice and smooth, pour is over the top of the peanut butter mixture and let set in the fridge.
If you’re impatient you can pop these in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. Don’t leave them in there though! They’re be terribly hard to cut through if you do.
Viola. Magic Peanut Butter & Rice Krispies Treats. Totally divine.
Peanut Butter + Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
6 cups rice krispies cereal
1 bag mini marshmallows
1/4 cup butter
1 1/2 cups peanut butter
1 bag mini Reese’s peanut butter cups
1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips
Make your rice krispies treats! I start by getting out a mixing bowl and spraying the whole thing with Pam cooking spray (helped get it out a little easier) and then measuring out the cereal and putting it in a large mixing bowl. Then, melt the butter. Once fully melted, add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are smooth and full incorporated into the butter.
Pour melted marshmallows over the cereal and mix well with a spatula until it’s evenly coated. Press into a 13×9 inch pan.
Chop your Reese’s into small pieces.
Melt peanut butter in the microwave – took me about a minute on high. Peanut butter should be completely smooth.
Drop the chopped Reese’s into the peanut butter and mix well. I prefer the flavor of it mixed, but you can leave it a little chunky for more of a peanut butter “oomph”.
Let set. While setting, melt milk chocolate. Pour over as the top layer and smooth out.
Let set in the fridge until chocolate is smooth and set. Cut into pieces and devour.
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (3)
- Dennis: Wow looks like you guys ate like kings! er Queens!
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...