Onto the next free birthday food!
Today’s my actual birthday, in case you were wondering. What will I be doing today? Getting a massage. Getting some free foods. And probably going to Eclipse Chocolat for a pumpkin spice cupcake. It doesn’t hurt that through the rest of the year on Tuesdays they’re giving a free truffle every Tuesday with a $5 purchase. Sign me up!
Anyway, onto the free birthday eats! This time around I went to Daphne’s California Greek. Earlier this year they tweaked their name so it’s no longer “Daphne’s Greek Cafe”. My local Daphne’s got a slick, new revamp along with a revamped menu. It appears they’ve also revamped the birthday offerings since instead of the usual “you can have 1 of whatever you want”, you now only get to pick from 4 different menu items: Classic Pita, Street Pitas (2), Pita Burger or Pita Melt.
The coupon is also good for one week and it’s sent one week before your birthday.
[Pita Burger with greek salad and rice pilaf]
I opted to try the pita burger since I had never had it before. I had to ask what the pita melt was since I didn’t even see it on the menu. It’s basically a chicken sandwich on pita bread with melted cheese on top. The pita burger sounded kind of good. The burger and my drink were comped with the birthday coupon (pita burger retails for $5.99) and I decided to make it a combo for an additional $2.29 and added two sides.
The greek salad is pretty typical, they haven’t changed that much. The rice pilaf was very bland – it used to have a lot more flavor but really lacked any kind of seasoning at all. The burger itself was just okay. It was cooked fine and the topping were okay. It was kind of a lot of feta cheese, maybe a bit too much. I like pita bread a lot but I don’t think it really makes for a great bun. It gets kind of squishy and doesn’t hold up very well after awhile. I also felt like the burger was kind of slippery and all of my topping kept falling out. Oops.
I also got a piece of baklava for $1.49. I couldn’t help it. It looked so tasty. It was pretty good.
From this angle/view you can see some of the updated, more modern looking decor in the restaurant. I dig this shot.
Sign up for their Pita Points club and get your own free birthday meal from Daphne’s.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)