Onto the next free birthday food!
Today’s my actual birthday, in case you were wondering. What will I be doing today? Getting a massage. Getting some free foods. And probably going to Eclipse Chocolat for a pumpkin spice cupcake. It doesn’t hurt that through the rest of the year on Tuesdays they’re giving a free truffle every Tuesday with a $5 purchase. Sign me up!
Anyway, onto the free birthday eats! This time around I went to Daphne’s California Greek. Earlier this year they tweaked their name so it’s no longer “Daphne’s Greek Cafe”. My local Daphne’s got a slick, new revamp along with a revamped menu. It appears they’ve also revamped the birthday offerings since instead of the usual “you can have 1 of whatever you want”, you now only get to pick from 4 different menu items: Classic Pita, Street Pitas (2), Pita Burger or Pita Melt.
The coupon is also good for one week and it’s sent one week before your birthday.
[Pita Burger with greek salad and rice pilaf]
I opted to try the pita burger since I had never had it before. I had to ask what the pita melt was since I didn’t even see it on the menu. It’s basically a chicken sandwich on pita bread with melted cheese on top. The pita burger sounded kind of good. The burger and my drink were comped with the birthday coupon (pita burger retails for $5.99) and I decided to make it a combo for an additional $2.29 and added two sides.
The greek salad is pretty typical, they haven’t changed that much. The rice pilaf was very bland – it used to have a lot more flavor but really lacked any kind of seasoning at all. The burger itself was just okay. It was cooked fine and the topping were okay. It was kind of a lot of feta cheese, maybe a bit too much. I like pita bread a lot but I don’t think it really makes for a great bun. It gets kind of squishy and doesn’t hold up very well after awhile. I also felt like the burger was kind of slippery and all of my topping kept falling out. Oops.
I also got a piece of baklava for $1.49. I couldn’t help it. It looked so tasty. It was pretty good.
From this angle/view you can see some of the updated, more modern looking decor in the restaurant. I dig this shot.
Sign up for their Pita Points club and get your own free birthday meal from Daphne’s.
about this site
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest (11)
- mary: Thanks, CC! OMG, my blog is growing up too fast!
- mary: Thank you, Kirbie!
- mary: Sadly I haven’t since I have not been to Portland (yet). Someday!
- Hannah v: Mmmmm asparagus wrapped in bacon. Enough said…unless you mention bacon dipped in milk chocolate.
- caninecologne: Happy Blogaversary to you!!!! You blog is in 2nd grade now! As for bacon, i love baking it in the oven slathered with maple syrup and a...
- Lauren: Homemade potato salad with bacon in it….I have dreams about it.
- stacey: My family (Mom’s side) makes a non-creamy bacon coleslaw that I could downright eat myself sick on!