My Long Beach posting made me forget that I had like, other posts to do, since this visit to DTM (Damn the Man!) Sandwiches occurred right after the Blackout! I remember this in particular because when Jake and I dropped into DTM (Damn the Man!), Jake asked the workers how the store was affected by the blackout. They had lost a bunch of product but were luckily insured to cover the costs of the lost food. I remember thinking at the time I didn’t realize the widespread effects that the blackout had across the county. As a result of the blackout, a few items weren’t available that day but we were able to get some damn tasty sandwiches anyway.
[Roast Beef & Avocado - $5.69]
This was my choice – the Roast Beef & Avocado on sourdough bread. All sandwiches come with Mayo, Yellow Mustard, Lettuce, Tomatoes, Red Onions, Pickles, Pepperoncinnis, Salt, & Pepper unless other requested. No pickles or pepperoncinnis for me, please. Thank you. The bread’s not toasted (though, I bet they would do it for you if you asked) and while I normally go for a toast, I opted to try it “as is” that day.
This was a really solid, really tasty sandwich. The meat was very nice – thinly sliced but really piled onto the sandwich. I had some issues taking a bite of that sucker. It had a wonderfully good amount of avocado and all of the pieces of this sandwich puzzle just fit together so, so nicely. I was quite impressed.
[Turkey, Ham, Pepper Jack, & Chipotle Mayo on Multi-Grain Wheat - $5.95]
Jake helped me spend my Groupon (yay) by getting this sandwich. Look. At. All. Of. That. Meat! I didn’t have a bite of this sandwich, but Jake ate the whole thing and he enjoyed it immensely. These sandwiches made us wonder why we didn’t go to deli shops more often.
The whole inside of the deli has got this counter culture vibe to it, from the spray-painted and tagged up walls, to the guitar picks that are glued to the floor (I should have taken of photo of that).
The counter people were super friendly and easy-going and happy to talk to their customers. They offer cold sandwiches, hot sandwiches, Po’ boy sandwiches (4″ hoagie roll sandwiches for $2.59), salads, soups and chili.
Eat here. Do it.
8182 Parkway Dr
(between Marengo Ave & Jackson Dr)
La Mesa, CA 91942
about this site
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!)
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!) (14)
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt (9)