I went to San Diego High school back when it had open campus for lunch. There were times where we’d take off into Downtown to grab something to eat – usually at the Great Wall for $.99 cent Chinese items – and other times where we’d head to Horton Plaza.
Back then they had a place called Boardwalk Fries where you could get a cup of freshly made, skin-on french fries drenched in cheese. I remember thinking it was the bestest thing ever. I always wanted to get a Gyro sandwich and some of those Boardwalk Fries.
Fast forward to the present. If you’ve been to Horton Plaza lately you know Boardwalk Fries has been replaced with Super Fries. They have much of the same items such as the cheese fries and chili cheese fries. They also offer Jalapeno & Cheese, Bacon & Cheese or Ranch fries in addition to hot dogs, hot wings and onion rings.
Jake got us an order of large fries to share. With cheese, of course.
[Large Cheese Fries - $5.45]
The large is quite big. We got three forks since Jake and I shared with his oldest son, T.
Here’s a forkful before it went straight into my mouth.
The fries were sort of similar to what I remember of Boardwalk Fries – but not quite. These cheesy super fries were generously cheesy – the cheese was present in the whole cup, all the way down to the very bottom, so at least they don’t skimp there! The fries could have been a bit crispier/creamier for my tastes, but they weren’t bad. Just not the best I’ve ever had. The cheese got to be a bit too salty for me after awhile but since we were sharing I was able to get through it.
I wouldn’t turn down these fries again in the future, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them again either.
Horton Plaza continually changes as do most places. My memories are still with me though and I’ll just have to get my tasty french fries fix at hopefully a closer and better tasting location.
463 Horton Plaza
San Diego, CA 92101
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (7)
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)