I went to San Diego High school back when it had open campus for lunch. There were times where we’d take off into Downtown to grab something to eat – usually at the Great Wall for $.99 cent Chinese items – and other times where we’d head to Horton Plaza.
Back then they had a place called Boardwalk Fries where you could get a cup of freshly made, skin-on french fries drenched in cheese. I remember thinking it was the bestest thing ever. I always wanted to get a Gyro sandwich and some of those Boardwalk Fries.
Fast forward to the present. If you’ve been to Horton Plaza lately you know Boardwalk Fries has been replaced with Super Fries. They have much of the same items such as the cheese fries and chili cheese fries. They also offer Jalapeno & Cheese, Bacon & Cheese or Ranch fries in addition to hot dogs, hot wings and onion rings.
Jake got us an order of large fries to share. With cheese, of course.
[Large Cheese Fries - $5.45]
The large is quite big. We got three forks since Jake and I shared with his oldest son, T.
Here’s a forkful before it went straight into my mouth.
The fries were sort of similar to what I remember of Boardwalk Fries – but not quite. These cheesy super fries were generously cheesy – the cheese was present in the whole cup, all the way down to the very bottom, so at least they don’t skimp there! The fries could have been a bit crispier/creamier for my tastes, but they weren’t bad. Just not the best I’ve ever had. The cheese got to be a bit too salty for me after awhile but since we were sharing I was able to get through it.
I wouldn’t turn down these fries again in the future, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them again either.
Horton Plaza continually changes as do most places. My memories are still with me though and I’ll just have to get my tasty french fries fix at hopefully a closer and better tasting location.
463 Horton Plaza
San Diego, CA 92101
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- hanna garden / miramar – san diego, ca
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- hanna garden / miramar – san diego, ca (9)
- Kirbie: How funny, I just noticed this place the other day when I was inside the plaza, and was wondering why I had never noticed it before. I was wondering...
- mary: The salad mostly had parsley as the herb, I think that was the only one. But it gave it a nice, refreshing taste (that, along with the dressing). Haha,...
- Faye: Oh your dish looks so good! I can’t believe they give you a side of hummus like that – pretty generous I think. The places I go to give you...
- mary: Mmm, me too! I’d eat lamb, too, but I like lamb not like you hehe. Pickles… no. I don’t like any kind of pickle, at all. I dislike...
- caninecologne: Mmmm, juicy meat! I really like the flavorings in the meat kabobs (beef not lamb) at these types of places. Wait, you don’t like pickles?
- mary: I was surprised by the salad! Especially since the photos on the window showed the salad on the plate, not in it’s own bowl. It was a nice...
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway! (3)
- Melanie Montgomery: I would use it to help cater my work party!