I went to San Diego High school back when it had open campus for lunch. There were times where we’d take off into Downtown to grab something to eat – usually at the Great Wall for $.99 cent Chinese items – and other times where we’d head to Horton Plaza.
Back then they had a place called Boardwalk Fries where you could get a cup of freshly made, skin-on french fries drenched in cheese. I remember thinking it was the bestest thing ever. I always wanted to get a Gyro sandwich and some of those Boardwalk Fries.
Fast forward to the present. If you’ve been to Horton Plaza lately you know Boardwalk Fries has been replaced with Super Fries. They have much of the same items such as the cheese fries and chili cheese fries. They also offer Jalapeno & Cheese, Bacon & Cheese or Ranch fries in addition to hot dogs, hot wings and onion rings.
Jake got us an order of large fries to share. With cheese, of course.
[Large Cheese Fries - $5.45]
The large is quite big. We got three forks since Jake and I shared with his oldest son, T.
Here’s a forkful before it went straight into my mouth.
The fries were sort of similar to what I remember of Boardwalk Fries – but not quite. These cheesy super fries were generously cheesy – the cheese was present in the whole cup, all the way down to the very bottom, so at least they don’t skimp there! The fries could have been a bit crispier/creamier for my tastes, but they weren’t bad. Just not the best I’ve ever had. The cheese got to be a bit too salty for me after awhile but since we were sharing I was able to get through it.
I wouldn’t turn down these fries again in the future, but I wouldn’t go out of my way to get them again either.
Horton Plaza continually changes as do most places. My memories are still with me though and I’ll just have to get my tasty french fries fix at hopefully a closer and better tasting location.
463 Horton Plaza
San Diego, CA 92101
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- isa.bella artisan pizzeria / clairemont – san diego, ca (5)
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Thanks, CC!
- college area taste 2014 recap (10)
- mary: Hi Cynthia! Haha, I totally don’t mind being stopped to a chat, if you see me again say hi!! We had our tupperware stored in a backpack for Taste...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits