After finally picking up the car after lunch, we decided to head over to Rossmoor Pastries. Jake and I had learned about this local Long Beach bakery from dining at the Brazilian Steakhouse the night before.
The last time we went to see Gabriel Iglesias, we brought him a cake that I had made (this is why we bring him cake). I was feeling lazy and unwilling to bring a cake up to Long Beach again, so I decided we would buy something nearby and this presented itself as the perfect opportunity to get something for Gabriel and to get cupcakes for myself. I have a small weakness for cupcakes. Just a wee bit.
After sampling some of their delicious Dulce de Leche Cheesecake, I knew we were in the right place! Though walking in and looking at these counters filled with desserts…
At first I just kind of stared in awe of the sweetness before me. There were cupcakes, mini fruit tarts, mini pies, chocolate covered strawberries, petite fours, mini cheesecakes, little brownies, mini pineapple upside down cakes, mini coconut cream cakes… my god. They also have full size versions of cakes but the sheer number of mini desserts made me drool. In the end though I only got mini cupcakes, some chocolate donuts (to be explained!) and one little mini dulce de leche cheesecake to take home.
These are the cupcakes I got. I only got to eat 2 of them. I brought them home and then they disappeared the next day…
These are the two I got to eat, though. Totally love the ghost cupcake with it’s horrified expression! And the autumn cupcake. Incidentally, both were pumpkin flavored cupcakes.
The “ghost” was actually a chocolate shell covering a pumpkin creme filling sitting on top of pumpkin cake. It was very moist and flavorful and I loved the pumpkin! The creme filling was not super strong or overly sweet – just the right amount of flavor and sweetness to match up with the moist cake. Loved it! Wished I had bought more…
Now for the donuts explanation! Also wondering to myself why I didn’t take a photograph of it… but here it goes.
I got this idea in my head that I wanted to put a mini cupcake inside of a chocolate donut to give to Gabriel instead of just a plain old chocolate cake. Originally I wanted to make a cake and put a transformer on top and put the transformer into the donut, like it was an inner tube, but the cake thing didn’t work out. I bought chocolate yeast donuts at Rossmoor’s along with the mini chocolate cupcake and stuffed the cupcake into the donut. That’s what we brought Gabriel.
Jake questioned why I wanted to do this. He thought it was weird and silly and it didn’t make sense to him. I just told him, “I think it’s funny”.
So what did Gabriel think of it? Well, I’ll tell you tomorrow when we conclude my Long Beach story!
2325 Redondo Avenue
Signal Hill, CA 90755
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- hanna garden / miramar – san diego, ca
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- hanna garden / miramar – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Mmm, me too! I’d eat lamb, too, but I like lamb not like you hehe. Pickles… no. I don’t like any kind of pickle, at all. I dislike...
- caninecologne: Mmmm, juicy meat! I really like the flavorings in the meat kabobs (beef not lamb) at these types of places. Wait, you don’t like pickles?
- mary: I was surprised by the salad! Especially since the photos on the window showed the salad on the plate, not in it’s own bowl. It was a nice...
- mary: Nice! It’s pretty reasonably priced, too. A cute spot for lunch!
- Jinxi: Ooh looks yummy. I like that they give you a big side salad!
- leanne: That’s not too far from my office… I may have to round up some co-workers one day and check it out!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....