The cool thing about going to a show at the Comedy & Magic Club in Hermosa Beach, CA is that it’s not a very big place. It seats 225 people, making for a small, intimate show. No one is very far away from the stage and you can see the comedians pretty up close. It’s a great place to see any comedian, but especially Gabriel Iglesias since this is his “hometown” club. He tries out new material here, sometimes takes audience requests and questions, brings all of his comedian friends on stage with him and will meet every single person after the show, if you so desire.
The only downer is that there’s a two item minimum required with the ticket price. Tickets were not so bad though ($20 each) so Jake and I had dinner and drinks before the show started, like most of the people people at the club.
When we went last year, we only had drinks and an order of french fries (which aren’t listed on the menu). Since we didn’t really have time to go anywhere else for dinner (without sacrificing the chance to get better seats), we just decided to eat here. I honestly thought the food would suck because it was pretty pricey – and hey, you have to buy something anyway. I’m happy to report that I was wrong on that front!
[Macaroni and Cheese - penne noodles with a 3 cheese sauce, finished with Parmesan cheese. With breadstick. $12 ]
This is my Macaroni and Cheese, fresh and pipping hot with a nice crust on top. It was saucy and cheesy with a good, rich taste. You can add on chicken or shrimp for an additional cost, but at $12 I was really willing to add to more to the already pricey dish. It was very good though and I would order it again in the future.
[Thai Beef & Sticky Rice Bowl - With sweet Thai marinade. $10.5 ]
This is Jake’s beef rice bowl which he totally loved. The beef was very tender and had a lovely sauce on it which was sweet and spicy all at once. Very good dish and a good option if you’re going to the club here and want to have a cheaper item for dinner.
One thing to also note if you’re going to the club here – if you change drinks (say, from Pepsi to Ginger Ale to Diet Pepsi) – they will charge for each change. You don’t just get 1 type of drink and get to get free refills if you change drinks, unlike at other restaurants. This was an unhappy surprise for us at end of the night.
Despite the drink fiasco, we had a wonderful time at the show. We ended up seeing about 7 comics total that night, including some of his friends such as Martiiiiiiiiiin Moreno, Noe Gonzalez, Larry Omaha, Dillon Garcia, Shaun Latham and a few others whose names I forgot. If you watch Gabriel’s new show on Comedy Central next week, I’m sure a few of these guys will be on it!
Here’s us posing with Gabriel after the show, along with the donut/cupcake! Gabriel knew of Rossmoor Pastries and told us that he lives a few blocks away from the pastry shop. Then he asked, “Did they do this at the store?” and I said, “No, I did it myself!” He said, “I didn’t think they would do that at the store, that’s very creative!” And he also said that at least one of the items in the box would not make it home that night.
I beamed at Jake afterwards and said, “See, I told you it was a good idea!” Jake smiled and laughed and conceded that I did have a good idea after all.
The Comedy & Magic Club
1018 Hermosa Ave.
Hermosa Beach, CA 90254
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...