I’m always interested in trying out a new cupcake place in the hopes of finding that “perfect cupcake”. Maybe there is no such thing but it’s fun to go on the journey and see how different shops do cupcakes!
Jake, the kids and I were in Hillcrest one evening and after dinner we walked over to Babycakes to get some dessert. Babycakes has a bakery area on one side and a bar on the other side of the shop with outdoor seating up front. It’s kind of interesting to see a bar and a bakery together in one shop. They have regular food here, plus a cocktail menu and they serve brunch on the weekends in addition to their cupcake and dessert offerings. We were here just for dessert!
A little view of some of the cupcake offerings. They had a bunch of different flavors available.
This is one of the kid’s cupcakes – a Chocolate Mint cupcake. I thought it was so cute that they spelled out words on the plate. It made for a fun, quirky presentation.
This is Jake’s Red Velvet cupcake. It had red velvet crumbles sprinkled on top of the cream cheese frosting.
Jake’s son broke away from the pack and decided to get a Banana Nut Muffin which was warmed up for him. It has a crumble on top with a little powdered sugar and a good flavor and good amount of nuts throughout the muffin.
I decided to go with the Pistachio cupcake. I liked the flavor of the cupcake and thought this one was better than the other cupcakes. The flavor was a bit more prominent in this cupcake and I liked the flavor and nuts throughout. I thought the other cupcakes fell a bit flat and were a little bit dry.
We all thought the muffin was the best item overall that day instead of the cupcakes. I still vouch for my pistachio cupcake though!
3766 Fifith Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway! (2)
- mary: I bought the dried porcini so it was a little less expensive. I didn’t need a ton of it either, so I just looked through them all until I found...
- Faye: That mushroom salt is a killer idea! I love it. I’ve seen their dried mushroom section in the Del Mar location but it was soooo expensive. I...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...