I’m always interested in trying out a new cupcake place in the hopes of finding that “perfect cupcake”. Maybe there is no such thing but it’s fun to go on the journey and see how different shops do cupcakes!
Jake, the kids and I were in Hillcrest one evening and after dinner we walked over to Babycakes to get some dessert. Babycakes has a bakery area on one side and a bar on the other side of the shop with outdoor seating up front. It’s kind of interesting to see a bar and a bakery together in one shop. They have regular food here, plus a cocktail menu and they serve brunch on the weekends in addition to their cupcake and dessert offerings. We were here just for dessert!
A little view of some of the cupcake offerings. They had a bunch of different flavors available.
This is one of the kid’s cupcakes – a Chocolate Mint cupcake. I thought it was so cute that they spelled out words on the plate. It made for a fun, quirky presentation.
This is Jake’s Red Velvet cupcake. It had red velvet crumbles sprinkled on top of the cream cheese frosting.
Jake’s son broke away from the pack and decided to get a Banana Nut Muffin which was warmed up for him. It has a crumble on top with a little powdered sugar and a good flavor and good amount of nuts throughout the muffin.
I decided to go with the Pistachio cupcake. I liked the flavor of the cupcake and thought this one was better than the other cupcakes. The flavor was a bit more prominent in this cupcake and I liked the flavor and nuts throughout. I thought the other cupcakes fell a bit flat and were a little bit dry.
We all thought the muffin was the best item overall that day instead of the cupcakes. I still vouch for my pistachio cupcake though!
3766 Fifith Avenue
San Diego, CA 92103
about this site
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- [event] coast of pacific beach restaurant walk
- swoon dessert bar / north park – san diego
- [event] bake sale tomorrow!
- [event] dishcrawl north park / win a ticket to dishcrawl + discounts
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle] (3)
- Dennis: Wow looks like you guys ate like kings! er Queens!
- mary: The recipe they posted left out a few steps and quantities, so I filled it in as best I could! My version is not exactly like theirs, but we all...
- Jinxi: Hi Mary! Looks like the recipe turned out great Sometimes I’m wary of restaurant recipes because restaurants have such different cooking and...
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca (11)
- [product review] plum amazins baked goods from sunsweet bakery (2)
- mary: Hi Janet – According to their website, Sunsweet Bakery products are currently available at Costco here in San Diego. http://www.sunsweetbakery....
- janet: I love the sunsweet prune walnut loaf cake. I’ve gone to difrent places w no luck. I really would love to no were I can buy them here in san...