One Saturday afternoon not too long ago, Jake and I took the kids out for a fun, touristy afternoon. We went to Lucha Libre for lunch in the Champion’s Booth and then we drove to Coronado to take the ferry “there and back again”. On the way over to catch the ferry, we were walking through Ferry Landing when I see this:
A cupcake shop?! That I’ve never seen or heard of before?! How did this happppppppen?
Of course I wandered right in and saw the display cases and I told Jake, “We’re coming back for cupcakes after the ferry ride.” And we did.
Here’s what I saw when I popped my head in (click those babies to zoom in):
And this sign was on the wall within the menu:
They’ve got a ton of flavors and I don’t remember them all because I assumed their website would be working. Tsk, tsk. In any case, they have different flavors offered daily and all of the cupcakes have fun, cute names. Cupcakes are $3.25 each. If you buy 5 cupcakes then you get one free, which is what I did. I got a cupcake for each kid (three!), 2 for me and I convinced Jake to get one. He said he wouldn’t get one, almost didn’t get one, and then said, “Okay, get me the carrot cake one.” Oy.
We ended up getting (from L-R, top to bottom): 2 coconut cupcakes (I’m sure there was a cute name for these, but heck if I remember what it was), a “Chocolate Birthday” cupcake (that one that looks like it’s got a spiderweb on it – it’s covered in ganache), a Black Bottom Betty (it’s got cheesecake in with cupcake batter), a Chocolate PB Jess and the Carrot Cake cupcake.
We took our cupcakes and sat near the sand and the ferry landing dock while the kids played around in the sand. I ate the Chocolate PB cupcake first since I have a mild obsession with chocolate and peanut butter.
I really liked this cupcake. The cake itself was moist and not too dense. There some peanut butter filling in the center as well – I wish there had been a bit more of that, actually. And then the peanut butter icing on top was just dreamy. I actually was saving a large chunk of icing to eat with my last piece of the cupcake and I totally dropped it into the sand. I can’t tell you how upset I was about this. I brooded for awhile and stared very sadly at the glop of icing in the sand.
My other cupcake (which I ate the next day) was the Black Bottom Betty cupcake, which was chocolate cake with cheesecake and chocolate chips baked in with a ring of cream cream frosting (the one above with a ring of red frosting on it). The Black Bottom Betty cupcake I didn’t really care for – course, I still ate the whole thing. It was dry, the cheesecake didn’t really mesh well with the chocolate cake, and the actual cupcake just didn’t live up to the hype in my head. Oh well. That peanut butter icing was still dreamy.
I don’t really know how to rate this overall since I really liked one cupcake and I really didn’t like the other. Jake though his carrot cake cupcake was just okay (not as good as the ones he adored from Batter Up) and the kids just like cupcakes. It’s a split decision, folks.
1201 1st St
(between Orange Ave & C Ave)
Coronado, CA 92118
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- mary: Hi Darlene – It was kind of hard for us to find since we were looking for a separate building. It looks weird being at the bottom of an office...
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Janice – Yeah, my mom isn’t really an adventurous eater. She didn’t used to be so critical about everything food-wise, but she...
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib (12)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Hmm, I’m not sure how they found me, I didn’t ask! I think they were just shooting in the dark and hoped I would use it....