Update: This restaurant is now closed.
A few weeks ago Groupon (a food blogger’s best friend) had a deal for Bread on Market, a little deli/bread in East Village of Downtown San Diego. It was pretty good deal – $8 for $16 worth of food plus a loaf of bread. I got two of them and headed to Downtown with Jake and the kiddies in tow. I had read some promising things on their website – like the fact that they bake their own breads daily. I love bread so much – and freshly baked artisan bread is kind of a weakness of mine.
We got into the restaurant about mid-morning on a Saturday. Since the Groupon has only been available a few days before our visit, they were already out of all of their pastries. Bummer. The owner told us that we should try and come back after it’s died down a little to try and get some of the pastries (or either get there really, really early, I guess). We all opted to get breakfast items for our visit.
One of the kiddies got Pancakes. She let us all have a bite and the pancakes were quite fluffy and tasty. Very simple but very good.
The boys both got French Toast for their breakfast. This isn’t the cranberry bread variety that’s listed on the website though since there were no cranberries in it; but it was really delicious. One of the kiddies wasn’t able to finish his plate of french toast and so Jake and I attacked it and finished it off. The bread was light and airy and almost melted away when you ate it – but it also had a crisp texture on the outside making it really yummy.
Jake got the Breakfast Burrito which had scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns in them. He was in love with this burrito. I had to admit that I was crushing on it as well after a couple of bites. The ratio of items inside the burrito was really good – and the hash browns were really excellent! I’m really, really picky about my hash browns. I like them to be super crispy on the outside and almost creamy on the inside (like the ones at Keith’s, which are my absolute favorite hash browns ever) and these fit the bill. Jake liked this burrito so much he almost ordered another one! But he refrained.
As for me, I got the Morning Sandwich with bacon. It came with scrambled eggs, a slice of provolone cheese and really good bacon. My only disappointment with the sandwich is that I wish the bread had been toasted, but it didn’t occur to me to ask. I thought it was going to come on a roll instead of sliced bread so that’s probably why. The sandwich kind of fell apart while I was eating it, but the basic flavors were all there – it tasted fresh, which is something I always appreciate. I ate those orange slices, too. Yummy.
I didn’t take photos of them, but we got a loaf of sourdough and a loaf of jalapeno cheese bread for our free loaves with the Groupon. We used the breads to make some awesome ham and grilled sandwiches for dinner 2 nights in a row (they were that tasty). I’d love to come back to Bread on Market and try some of their pastries if I can ever snag any and eat some more of that French Toast… and hope that Jake gives me another bite of a burrito.
Bread on Market
730 Market St
(between 7th Ave & 8th Ave)
San Diego, CA 92101
Monday-Friday 7 a.m. – 5 p.m, Saturday 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Open until 7 p.m. on Padre game nights.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (7)
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)