There’s a show on the Travel Channel called Man v. Food that my boyfriend and I really love. The host, Adam, goes around the country trying to beat various crazy food challenges, eating ridiculous amounts of food. Somehow this inspired my boyfriend and he wanted to do something similar. He heard about the goliath burger from someone at work and when we were in the neighborhood we stopped by to check this place out.
Fred’s Old Fashioned Burgers is in an old Taco Bell joint. And you can tell, since it’s the same building and same facade. On the inside it’s got the same Taco Bell look, too, except they’ve covered the walls with various vintage signs with old ads from the 40′s, 50′s and 60′s. The menu is displayed above the counter where you can peek in and see the whole kitchen. The serve burgers, shakes, onions rings, fries – your typical stash of diner type food.
My boyfriend ordered the Goliath Burger ($13.99) and we got to see them slap the huge 2lb. patty onto the grill in the kitchen. The cooks argued briefly over who got to slice the massive sized bun, the non-slicer woefully saying, “Aww, I wanted to slice the bun.” Quite amusing. I myself got a normal sized cheeseburger (1/4 lb.) with fries and a peanut butter shake. They also gave us free samples of their frozen yogurt – we got the Pumpkin flavored ones, which were tasty (but I didn’t finish mine).
See that thing? It’s almost as wide as the whole tray! Here’s a comparsion next to my boyfriend’s son’s head:
Very large burger.
My boyfriend, eating the first bite. He enjoyed the burger very much and ate probably 2/3 of the burger. There is no challenge to finish this like on Man v. Food, my boyfriend just wanted to see if he could eat it. Good effort.
Here’s my normal sized burger, with some really tasty french fries. I liked my burger. It was juicy and flavorful and tasted like it was freshly made. Definitely better than other fast food fare. The fries were also really excellent – super crisp and delicious. I also really dig the “French Fries” bag they came in with a little potato mascot on the outside.
If you’re in the mood for some good, old-fashioned burgers (or eating really gigantic burgers), then check out Fred’s Old Fashioned Burgers for some tasty, tasty treats. They also have another location in Alpine, CA.
Fred’s Old Fashioned Burgers
1285 E Madison Ave
El Cajon, CA 92021
about this site
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!)
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!) (11)
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway (13)