Since we are now ordered to stay at home and practice social distancing, I have a lot more time on my hand. Enter: Savory Scones with Cheese, Garlic, and Herbs. I wanted to make scones but I didn’t want sweet ones. I decided that some fresh herbs from the garden along with a heaping bit of garlic and cheese would just be the trick to for these savory scones.
These turned a lovely golden brown and had pockets of cheesy goodness. Helloooo!
I’m going to do a semi step-by-step thing. You can just skip to the end for the recipe, too.
Making Savory Scones
First step was to freeze some butter for about an hour and then use a grater to get it into tiny little pieces.
The butter was then cut into a flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
Next I added both fresh and dried herbs and garlic.
Cheddar would be a fine choice but this is what I had on hand.
Next, cream and egg get mixed together to form some magic.
I kinda skipped a few photos… but basically you stir the dough together and then dump it out on a floured surface and bring it together to form a ball. You want to handle the dough as little as possible at this point.
If the dough is too sticky, add more flour in.
If it’s too dry, add some more cream or milk in.
Form it into a circle and pat it together.
Let the dough chill for 15 minutes.
Heat up the oven and then after the time out is up, cut into wedges and place onto a tray with parchment (or baking mat)
Brush the tops of the scones with cream.
Bake until your kitchen smells heavenly. Pull these golden brown suckers out and enjoy a few minutes of savory scone bliss.
Savory Scones with Cheese, Garlic, and Herbs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for hands and work surface
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, frozen
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (plus 2 Tbsp for brushing)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon fresh herbs (oregano, rosemary, thyme, or sage)
- 2 teaspoons herbs de provence
- 2 teaspoons grated garlic
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese
- Freeze yo butter for about an hour. Then using a grater, shred the butter.
- Mix together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- Using a pastry cutter or some forks, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a measuring cup, beat your egg into your heavy cream.
- Add fresh and dried herbs, garlic, and cheese to your flour mixture.
- Add liquid ingredients into the dry and mix with a spoon until it comes together.
- Flour a surface and dump your dough out. If it’s too wet, add a little more flour in. If it’s too dry, add a tablespoon of milk or cream.
- Pull the dough together until it’s one big lump. Form it into a disk. Be sure to handle the dough as little as possible but also make sure all of the flour is incorporated!
- Wrap the dough and chill for 15 minutes.
- Preheat and set oven to 400 degrees.
- Take out the precious dough and place it on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Brush the tops with heavy cream.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool, or, eat immediately and burn the roof of your mouth but think that it was totally worth it.
One thought on “Savory Scones with Cheese, Garlic, and Herbs”
Gonna try my hand and this! …and regard my dough as precious ?? thank you!