This weekend I did a ton of baking! I made cracker candy again (this year with a new flavor: white Chocolate with lime zest and salt!), lemon ricotta cookies and these babies: peanut butter cup cookies.
They might be my new favorite cookie. They have peanut butter cookies WITH a Reese’s mini peanut butter cup INSIDE. This is magic, I tell you.
I like these more than peanut butter blossoms and plain old peanut butter cookies. Having that extra bit of chocolate/peanut butter in the middle is almost inspiring.
Like, inspiring me to make more of these cookies. Yum.
I looked at a few recipes before embarking on my journey to make these and most used a mini muffin pan. I had lent my mini muffin pan out to Jake’s mom though so all I had were the big tins. And actually, I enjoyed the cookies this way. They’re a little flatter than other one I’ve seen but I like that. They look more like extra thick cookies this way and still stay a bit soft when you bite into one.
These are crazy good and crazy addictive. I’m a little sad I only made one batch. But now I know: make at least two batches next time!
Happy Holidays, Merry Christmas, and all that jazz!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons milk (I used evaporated because that's what I had on hand)
- 30 miniature chocolate covered peanut butter cups, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Freeze peanut butter cups. This makes it easier to insert the peanut butter cups without them melting all over you.
- In a bowl, sift together the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer, add butter, the two sugars and the peanut butter. Beat together on medium speed for 3-4 minutes, until it looks fluffy and soft.
- Add egg, vanilla and milk. Mix to combine. Add the flour mixture to the batch and mix until the flour is totally incorporated into the batter.
- Using a medium sized cookie scoop, grab out a scoop of dough. Level off with a knife and pop the scoop into a regular sized muffin pan. Repeat until pan is full.
- Bake for about 11 minutes, until the cookies start to look golden brown.
- While cookies are baking, unwrap the peanut butter cups.
- Remove from heat. Let the cookies cool slightly for about 2 minutes. Insert a peanut butter cup into the center of the cookies, pressing down until they are fully surrounded by the cookie and level with the top. Repeat with all cookies.
- Put any leftover chocolates back into the fridge while you finish the rest of the batch.
- Let cookies cool and then devour.
- Yields 30 cookies.