genghis grill / mira mesa

1. I like that the employees are actually helping you stack your bowl, you’d think they’d be encouraged to let you pile on as little as possible. I hate when you go to Chipotle for example and the person that is assembling your burrito is super stingy with the ingredients. Sometimes I deliberately really pause in between ordering meat and salsa so that I get more: “I’ll have the steak…………….and half chicken…………..the medium salsa……….oh and the mild……………..plus the corn”. Haha.

Hi J.S. – Yeah, I liked that I got some pro tips on how to stack the bowl! She did well filling up my bowl with meats, too, so she was so helpful. I hate when places are stingy, too! Sounds like you got it down on how to get the most of your order, haha. The Fresh MXN place in Mira Mesa is so stingy with their guacamole, I paid for “extra” guacamole on some chips and uhhh, it was definitely not extra. Felt so ripped off!

2. Lauren says:

All these new restaurants started popping up in Mira Mesa after I moved from there to Clairemont! LOL! I am intrigued, but I think I will stick with Stir Fresh, have you ever been there? The one in RB is delicious. They don’t help you pack your bowl, but it’s still tasty. Plus, sesame bread things!!

Hi Lauren! I have heard of Stir Fresh but I have never been there. We don’t usually hang around in the North County but sesame bread things sound like something I can get behind! Mira Mesa is also going to have a Manna BBQ soon and a Rita’s Italian Ice! Totally excited. πŸ˜€

3. Kimberlee says:

I’m liking this concept. It has a bit of a Vegas buffet feel to it but with a fancier spit shield. I’m a sucker for a lot of variety but the buffet theme has usually resulted in hot foods that were hot as a result of a bright red light so it’s never appealed to me for that reason. I’m looking forward to trying this place, however.

Hi Kimberlee – I’m pretty anti-buffet these days. Food sitting under heat lamps doesn’t appeal to me – I want freshly cooked food, damn it! I don’t want food that was cooked four hours ago haha. This place is allright – it’s not outstanding by any means but it tastes fairly fresh. It is a step above some of those Vegas buffets though (I’m looking at you, Circus Circus buffet).

4. Oh so it WAS Genghis on your IG. I thought it was but wasn’t totally sure. That does sound good right now. I haven’t had it in a while after the one near my house started sucking. I pile on so high, eat, then take the rest to go. I always always have a ton leftover cuz the hoarder in me piles it on so high. Btw I didn’t know you loved onions and hated pickles so much. I don’t understand your hatred of pickles lol.

Yes it was Genghis! See how my IG matches my blog (sometimes)? Hahah! I can imagine you’re a pro at the piling, I’ll have to see your “in action” bowl. I was thinking if I go again that I would try and stack the flatter stuff on the bottom. Maybe that would work. Always new things to learn about people, huh? Pickles…. ugh, I hate the flavor. I’m not a huge fan of vinegar, either, which does not help pickle’s case in my book. I don’t like sweet OR sour pickles, either. The flavor is just disgusting to me! Jake gets all of my extra pickles though, I don’t think he minds. πŸ™‚

5. Lynn says:

We went here recently because they had a coupon for one of their pre-made bowls. too bad they didn’t let you use it for more than one person! so dennis made his own creation while i chose a bowl. we had enough leftovers for another meal! so the price is decent but the taste was just alright. we probably won’t be back for a while.

Gosh I totally forgot about this place! I was so excited when I saw them first moving in but then totally forgot they were there. Duh.

Stir Fresh in RB really is the best best and they have a coupon online that’s pretty helpful. You have way more options there and they give you these sesame bread pockets that are amazing. The AYCE option is only like a buck more too.

That’s cool the employee gave you pointers. Usually the ppl working there won’t teach people how to ‘stuff’ their bowls with more food. That’s what cheapo ppl like me are for πŸ˜‰

You gotta use the ‘2nd bowl’ as a smasher thing for your current bowl’s content…

I’ll show you next time at Stir Fresh.