remembering tony gwynn + petco park food

1. He was and still is my favorite Padres player! I will never forget the 1984 season! Although I’ve never met him, you hear stories of how generous, humble, and kind he was. What a great role model; I wish there were more athletes like that. He embodied a classiness and San Diego was lucky to have had him.

Hi CC – Yes, I’ve heard lots of great stories about Gwynn. Everyone always said how kind he was, how he always had time for people… seemed like a truly great man who worked hard for all of his accomplishments and I admire that! I did not have the chance to meet him either. I also wish more athletes were like that, someone people could really look up to. Someone who was genuine like he was!

We usually end up eating before we get to the Park, but I’m glad I know about the kielbasa and tri tip nachos if I’m looking for food during a game!

I usually like a sweet treat halfway through the game. The last time we were there I got a Baked Bear ice cream cookie sandwich – it made me less sad that the Padres didn’t get any runs at all the whole game.

Hi Leanne – Oh, that sounds like a good idea! For some reason I also like getting those sundaes in a helmet cup… makes me feel like a little kid again! I didn’t see the Baked Bear stand last night. Maybe next time we go I’ll brave the line for Hodad’s and see if it’s as good as actually going to Hodad’s. That is sad the Padres scored no runs for you! The game last night was actually exciting for once (and they won)!

I still haven’t been to a Padres game even though I’ve been here for 2 years – but definitely looking to do so this season! That kielbasa hot dog sounds sooo good, especially with the pulled pork =P

Dude what the heck. I must be bad luck because the ‘dres usually lose at every game I physically attend (you like how I just nicknamed em the ‘dres…that one came outta no where..i think I listened to Dr Dre in the car earlier?).

That’s awesome you’ve gone to so many games this year. I usually only go because I think it’s such a beautiful park and venue. It’s sad that the Chargers can’t have this type of stadium. Thanks for your tip on the food and $10 Toyota Tuesdays. I always strike out with the food there (and then kick myself for spending an entire paycheck to try out over priced stuff). The tri tip nachos look amazing – I wonder if one can ask for the chips to be put on side (to avoid sogginess?).

The pulled pork dog is calling my name. But $12.50 – jeez man πŸ™ I went to a game last Aug/Sept and don’t recall seeing this hot dog.

I’m glad the night was able to pay tribute to Tony Gwynn.

Hi Faye –
      We went to many games before the Padres ever won! Jake felt like he was a bad luck charm, haha. The ‘dres… hahah, you must have been listening to Dr. Dre or you really only wanted to say one syllable!

I’m not sure if they could do the stuff on the side for the nachos, I don’t know if they have containers for the cheese and whatnot but I’m sure you could ask if you ever decide to try them. Jake eats all the soggy chips so I don’t have to worry about that! I know, a few of the things are pretty pricey, but if you share with someone then it’s not so bad, right? The pulled pork dog is only in the bar at the Western Metal Building – at least, that’s the only place I have seen it. They kind of have fancier stuff in there.

5. Ooh good tips. I usually get Hodad’s or Phil’s ever since they started having Phil’s there. That pulled pork hot dog though! I never really knew the different between the regular hot dog, bratwurst and kielbasa but I need to try the kielbasa, if you say its best πŸ˜‰

Hi J.S. – The hot dog is just a hot dog – it’s a bit thinner and smaller and usually made with beef. A brat or kielbasa are both sausages – usually pork or a mixture. The differences are just in the flavors/spices used. I like both but slightly prefer kielbasa. I haven’t had a brat at the stadium in awhile though, I’ll have to try a brat the next time I’m at Petco for research purposes. I don’t like Phil’s all that much so we tend to skip that but I was thinking of trying Hodad’s, too!