my diner / boston, ma

1. Holy cow! That’s a lot of food!!!! Your corned beef hash looked pretty good! That little diner is pretty cramped in there, but it seems like a reliable neighborhood eatery.

Hi CC – It was a ton of food for pretty cheap! The corned beef hash was really good, I have never had corned beef hash with herbs in it before and I really enjoyed it. The locals must know about this place since it was packed in that morning (we had wait maybe 20 minutes for a table, not too bad).

Why can’t we have places like this in SD.

I love the rainy weather and always thought Boston was such a beautiful city. That’s the first pic I’ve ever seen of your pretty mum 🙂

Corned beef hash is one of my favorite things. My dad used to make it (from the can) and sis and I used to joke that it looked, literally, like canned dog food (kinda smelled like it too). His canned version wasn’t as good as OPH’s though.

Do you have a recipe for corned beef hash?

Hi Faye –
      Boston is a beautiful city – I love the history and the look of the town, though the traffic is terrible haha. Mom doesn’t really like photos of herself but I thought, too bad, momma’s going on the blog this week hehe.
      The canned corned beef is pretty bad… though I used to enjoy it when I was a kid! I’ve actually never tried or thought to try to make my own corned beef hash! I also had it at Richard Walker’s and I liked their version, too (post soon!).

3. I am craving some Dunkin Donuts now, with some coffee. I guess My Diner can afford to offer so much food for cheap (and possibly renewed mugs with advertisement) because of what they save in costs of square footage of the place? Wow, when that place gets packed, I can just imagine how cramped it can get. All your dishes look hearty.

Hi Miss Kim! Someday Dunkin Donuts will be back in California in full force! I actually found I didn’t really care for their coffee once I tried it – at least the iced version. It tasted watery!

Yeah, I’m sure the mug advertising helps. They have an incredibly small space so maybe their lease isn’t that high – plus they are in South Boston which isn’t the “main” part of Boston. More like a locals part of town. The food was very hearty and comforting, especially on a rainy day.

Dunkin Donuts is definitely a sign that you’re on the East Coast! We found Dunkin Donuts creamer at Stater Bros and T swears it makes coffee taste just like Dunkin Donuts coffee.

The Dunkin Donuts downtown has opened! I think it’s in the Embassy Suites hotel? Or somewhere by there… around the convention center.

I am impressed by your corned beef hash plate for only $6.50! Corned beef hash with herbs reminds me of scrapple (everywhere in PA) – it’s a pork and cornmeal mixture that gets fried into patties or slabs. I’ve been told it’s “everything but the oink” but you mainly just taste pork and spices. T grew up with it, so we always eat it at least once when we go back east.

Hi Leanne – I made one quick visit to the DD Downtown but it’s so hard to park down there… I went late at night right before they closed and only got munchkins so it wasn’t as exciting as I’d hope it’d be. I’m starting to think DD is more nostalgic than super yummy, haha.

I loved how cheap the food was at this little homey diner in Boston! It was definitely off the beaten path, seemed like a mostly locals place. I really dug it. I have heard of scrapple but have never seen it anywhere. Pork and cornmeal doesn’t sound so bad to me.