The holidays usually involve lots of cookies for dessert, but if you’re looking for a little something different for dessert this holiday, check out this one! It’s a blueberry lemon bread pudding – something creamy, with a bit of crunchy, a little zing of lemon and the pop of wild blueberries.
I was sent some coupons to try out Wyman’s Wild Blueberries, which were the perfect vessel for this dessert.
Wyman’s blueberries are freshly picked in the wild and frozen. They are smaller in size than other frozen blueberries I have used in the past but they are just as sweet (maybe even a little sweeter).
I used 3/4 of a loaf of some brioche bread that I got at Whole Foods. I used it after a few days and probably could have left it out to dry and stale up a bit, but I did not.
The bread is cut into cubes and left to soak in a mixture of milk, heavy cream, eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and lemon zest to “soak up the awesome”.
I added in the blueberries later thought you can let is also “sit in the awesome” if you want to.
This mixture is put into a buttered dish to put into the oven.
It bakes for about an hour, until the center is spongy and the top is all crunchy and crispy looking.
The middle is soft and gooey while the top is all crunchy and wonderful. I preferred the top to the inside, but that’s generally the case with me and bread pudding. The crusty top is always my favorite part! The bit of lemon zest gives it an extra zing and brightness to the pudding that makes it different from other bread puddings.
If you’re looking for something new and different to try this holiday season, give this recipe a shot!
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus more for the baking dish
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 10 ounces brioche, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (6 cups)
- 1 1/2 cup Wyman's frozen wild blueberries
- Butter a baking dish for ultimate butter baking awesomeness.
- In a large bowl, mix together eggs, heavy cream, milk, brown sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and blueberries. Add bread cubes and let soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. After 30 minutes place into buttered dish. Bake for 1 hour, until it's firm in the middle. Let cool and then dig in!