Cake decorating post alert!
I don’t know why I felt the need to give you so many alerts. But hey, there’s some geeky video gaming cake decorating going on over here today and I hope you’ve prepared for it.
S requested a Minecraft birthday cake because apparently he thinks it’s the bee’s knees. I didn’t even try Minecraft until the day after I made this cake so this is like an interpretive cake. I knew it was pixel-y and block-y and there were these dudes and characters in it… and stuff. S wanted to direct me exactly in how he wanted his cake, but Jake convinced him it was best to just leave it up to me. I joked with Jake that next year I’ll probably get schematics and crap next year.
After I made the cake (a Devil’s Food Cake, from a box mix ’cause I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to buy more cocoa powder) I made my favorite buttercream frosting. I divided some of the buttercream into three bowls.
And made them each a different shade of green!
For my “pixelated” look, I frosted Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. I tried to find the mini ones, but they were only available in mix boxes, so I bought just one box of the shortbread cookies. I frosted a few of them plain white before moving onto the greens. I also changed the shade of green on the lightest shade after I had used it to frost a few cookies. I wanted a lot of variety!
The great thing about the buttercream I used was that it was easily adaptable to make chocolate frosting! I think I added maybe 4 or 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder until it tasted “just right”.
And I used that to crumb coat and then frost my square cake.
I used crushed Oreo cookies (crushed quickly and efficiently thanks to our Vitamix) for the “dirt” part since I didn’t have enough cookies to do the full pixelated thing.
I printed templates online to make the Steve and Creeper characters. They’re just made out of paper since I didn’t have the skillz to recreate them in an edible format.
Birthday boy got to keep the paper crafts though and that made him pretty happy.
Another successful birthday cake (woooo)!
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma
- rubio’s california bowl / utc
- wienerschnitzel hot dogs
- lemon ginger ice box cake for alex’s lemonade stand & melissa’s produce challenge
- wings and fish / encanto
- danny’s donuts / vista
- peppertree frosty / vista
- berkeley pizza / downtown san diego
- bruxie / college area – san diego, ca
- flayvors of cook farm / hadley, ma
- triple lobsters at fishtales in hatfield, ma (8)
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Everything looks so meh except for the lobsters! That is such weirdly pale...
- caninecologne: East Coast folks are so lucky to have lobster in abundance and at low prices too!...
- Jinxi: $20 for 3 lobsters! Crazy! Also, I love the description of your lobster shirt with people...
- Kirbie: i miss how cheap lobster is on the east coast!
- rubio’s california bowl / utc (4)
- Lynn: Rubios is one of the few chain restaurants that I go to. Not only do you get free food...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats