Cake decorating post alert!
I don’t know why I felt the need to give you so many alerts. But hey, there’s some geeky video gaming cake decorating going on over here today and I hope you’ve prepared for it.
S requested a Minecraft birthday cake because apparently he thinks it’s the bee’s knees. I didn’t even try Minecraft until the day after I made this cake so this is like an interpretive cake. I knew it was pixel-y and block-y and there were these dudes and characters in it… and stuff. S wanted to direct me exactly in how he wanted his cake, but Jake convinced him it was best to just leave it up to me. I joked with Jake that next year I’ll probably get schematics and crap next year.
After I made the cake (a Devil’s Food Cake, from a box mix ’cause I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to buy more cocoa powder) I made my favorite buttercream frosting. I divided some of the buttercream into three bowls.
And made them each a different shade of green!
For my “pixelated” look, I frosted Lorna Doone shortbread cookies. I tried to find the mini ones, but they were only available in mix boxes, so I bought just one box of the shortbread cookies. I frosted a few of them plain white before moving onto the greens. I also changed the shade of green on the lightest shade after I had used it to frost a few cookies. I wanted a lot of variety!
The great thing about the buttercream I used was that it was easily adaptable to make chocolate frosting! I think I added maybe 4 or 5 tablespoons of cocoa powder until it tasted “just right”.
And I used that to crumb coat and then frost my square cake.
I used crushed Oreo cookies (crushed quickly and efficiently thanks to our Vitamix) for the “dirt” part since I didn’t have enough cookies to do the full pixelated thing.
I printed templates online to make the Steve and Creeper characters. They’re just made out of paper since I didn’t have the skillz to recreate them in an edible format.
Birthday boy got to keep the paper crafts though and that made him pretty happy.
Another successful birthday cake (woooo)!
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...