I had to make a quick trip up to LAX last month and I figured if I was going all the way up to Los Angeles in rush hour traffic, there better at least be some tasty food at the end of the tunnel. A bit of searching led me to two different ideas for places… but we ended up going to Britt’s BBQ in El Segundo since it is right next to the airport. We had an hour to kill before dropping off my folks at LAX since the ride up the 405 wasn’t as soul crushing as I imagined it to be and we got up there in good time.
I was in a rib kind of mode and that’s what I decided I wanted. The “Smoked Fried Chicken” though sounded so unique – I had actually read about it another blogger’s site (JustJenn) but the ribs were just calling to me that day. Above is a quick peek at their menu, which is placed at every table setting in the restaurant. There is a walk-up counter, but we actually had someone come to our table and serve us.
This is the counter, which has a few more things that’s not listed on the paper menu.
[1/2 rack St. Louis Ribs - $13.95]
I chose to get the St. Louis Ribs – I prefer spareribs over baby back ribs, myself. These ribs were quite tender and had a good smoke to them. The BBQ sauce was slightly sweet and slathered onto the ribs. I enjoyed enjoying them. They were not “fall off the bone” ribs, but the meat did come off the bone and I ended up with clean ribs. Juicy and tender, I liked these a lot.
[my sides - potato salad and macaroni and cheese]
The potato salad was pretty good – creamy and a bit on the mustard-y side. The mac and cheese wasn’t bad either, but I like it a little cheesier.
[side of cornbread - $1.95]
The cornbread was nothing to write home about. It was very dry and kind of disappointing.
I always want to order cornbread everywhere we go. Why is that?!
[potato rounds - fresh sliced potatoes, fried and seasoned with garlic salt - $3.95]
We saw another customer with an order of these and got them to share. The potatoes were soft with a little bit of crunch on the outer edge. Since they are thicker cut, they definitely have a more “potato” taste – like sliced potatoes and not like potato chips. A bit on the salty side. Jake and my dad liked these – I didn’t like them as much.
Jake managed to get one hot link as a side for us – but I don’t know how much they charged for that since it’s not on the menu to get something a la cart like that. The hot link itself had a good overall flavor and a good amount of spice without being OMG MY MOUTH IS BURNING hot. The outside of the hot link was way overcharred for my tastes though. Like super-char. Maybe it could be a super hero with it’s super-char.
[pastrami sandwich on rye bread - $11.95]
Dad’s “Pastrami” sandwich had two strikes against it in my Dad’s eyes – first, they were out of pretzel buns which was what he really wanted and he felt that this meat was really more of a corned beef and NOT pastrami. He thought it was fine for corned beef, but since it wasn’t what he actually wanted, he saw it as a FAIL. I didn’t try it. It didn’t look like pastrami to me, either.
[beef short ribs - 1/2 order - $10.95]
Mom thought she was ordering something else when she got these… so she didn’t like it, either. I didn’t try these either, but I thought they looked pretty good.
[pork melt - on texas toast grilled with cheese on the outside and mac & cheese, pulled pork, grilled onions and chipotle sauce - $10.95]
Jake got this crazy Pork Melt sandwich that has macaroni and cheese and pulled pork inside. The outside of the bread had cheese grilled into the bread, making for a super crunchy, extra cheesy outside. The pulled pork was really good and in this format, I liked the macaroni and cheese better in the sandwich than as a side. It was pretty insane and pretty delicious. Jake thought this was one of the best sandwiches, ever. I mean, helloooo – cheese and pulled pork! Yeah, he totally won that day. But I still really liked my ribs!
[complimentary cream filled donut holes]
The other part that really enticed me into going here was the complimentary cream filled donut holes.
You’re gonna give me free donuts when I’m done eating? Yeah, sure, okay. Sign me up for that!
These had a nice vanilla cream custard in the middle of the donut holes and were pretty good. Too bad we only got one each. The guy next to us, who was by himself, got four all to himself!
I’m pretty sure they liked him more than us though. Weep.
Jake wants to go here again when we have to go back up to LAX, but I want to try something new! Maybe if I had ordered an amazing cheese crusted sandwich I’d want to visit again, too.
408 Main St.
El Segundo, CA 90245
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (4)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was a bummer. I think the food truck might have been a better choice, haha! I try to shy away from buffets, I never feel like...
- lynn: Awww, too bad you guys had to wait so long for mediocre food! I wonder what it would have been like (food and wait) at the first place! The food truck...
- mary: Hi Carla – I wish we had tried the taco truck instead of the restaurant!
- Carla Pullum: I was just there last night! I love getting a bite off the Taco truck and man there food is so good! Great review! You got me wanting to go...
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- mary: Hi Kirk – I did the foil method the last time I tried this but I had made a few missteps with it that a) I partially wanted to see how it would...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits