britts bbq / el segundo, ca

I’m St Louis ribs look really dark – is it burnt a bit or was that from the smoker? I’m not a fan of smoked meats for some reason – it always tastes like an ‘ashtray’ to me for some reason. I feel the same way about cornbread – I just *have* to order it when I get bbq too (and I’m not a fan of cornbread really – which makes it weird). But there’s always that hope that I’m going to bite into a tiny lil cornbread and be magically WOWED one day. I’ve had to drive to LAX many times so this is a great suggestion for a place to go to avoid traffic on the way home or on the way up.

Hi Faye – It wasn’t burnt tasting, more like the top being caramelized. Maybe the smoked meats you have tried used a wood flavor you didn’t like? The wood can really make a different in the taste and flavor of the meat! I liked cornbread, but more often then not it turns out to be really dry and tasteless, which makes me sad. I have had really good cornbread at Crispy Fried Chicken in City Heights (though it’s not always consistent, but it’s usually good – sweet, moist and buttery).

Wow that pork melt sandwich looks so good. So much winning between two slices of cheese-crusted bread! I saw this place last time I was in the LAX area, I think… but didn’t go in. Next time I make mac n cheese though, I am going to save some for a sandwich! πŸ™‚

Hi Jinxi – Yeah, Jake’s sandwich was really good. I don’t usually think of putting mac and cheese in a sandwich… but uh, maybe I should!

3. Dennis says:

Hi Mary, I often hear bbq ribs are considered overcooked if they falls off the bone. What you described actually sounds about right. Anyway everything looks good, I’d love to visit Britts one of these days. πŸ™‚

Hi Dennis – Oh! That’s good to know, I hadn’t heard that before. I tend to not really like “fall off the bone” ribs. They seem… mushier. Hope you get to visit sometime!