[recipe] adventures in baking: homemade cronuts

1. Lauren says:

Oh man, these were soooo good. Thanks for making them with me, so so much fun!!

2. Darlene says:

These look fricking amazing. Great work on reproducing them. I thought they also included custard on the inside…? But either way, looks delicious.

3. Yeah, Trader Joe’s rules! First their pie crust, now their croissant dough!

I’ll have to give this recipe a try. I hardly ever fry things, but I would get over that quickly just to make this!

Your cronuts look great too! Is it me, or does the word ‘cronut’ kind of sound nasty?

Cronut is a really weird word… In hindsight I would not have made all 8 in one day. They are too rich to eat too many at once!

4. Carmel says:

These are so much like French crullers. So light and sweet and awesome!

5. Mo says:

These look good and can’t wait to try the recipe, thanks but they aren’t like the original cronuts. I live in NY and have had them on several occassions although now it is harder to get them and will have to wait for the craze to die down (2 hour wait in the morning) The one’s from Ansel’s Bakery have layers of pastry cream. It is truly heaven!

• Carmel says:

I thought it looked like cream in there, but Ansel’s site didn’t mention the cream, only some sugary stuff, but their pic looked like there was cream. Another site I saw, did mention the cream. I think I’ll get some French Crullers from Dunkin Donuts or Entennmans and fill will pastry cream and see if it comes close. May have to experiment. It is a lot like my mother’s puffed pastry cake filled with cream. Sure miss that!

Hi Mo – Yes, I read about the pastry cream, but well… that was a bit harder to do haha. These will do in a pinch though, since we can’t even get cronuts on the west coast!