I got it into my head this year that I wanted my dad to have cupcakes for his birthday. Well, actually, I thought I should get him a Boston Creme Pie and I didn’t think about it ahead of time so I scouted around looking for places that made Boston Creme Pies when I stumbled upon Elizabethan Desserts.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been to Elizabethan Desserts, but I do remember really liking their cupcakes. I saw on their website that they required 72 hours notice for cakes, but a whole cake would be too big anyway… and I noticed they do Boston Creme cupcakes! Perfect!
Last Saturday morning I got up pretty early and with Maya along for the ride, we beelined over to Encinitas. First I made a stop to pick up some of my mom’s favorite Peanut Butter Bagels from Garden State Bagels and then swung over to Elizabethan for the cupcakes.
Their doors had just opened and I peered into the cupcake case… only to not find any of the Boston Creme Cupcakes!!
I sadly inquired about them and if they had any that day, explaining I wanted one for my dad’s birthday. The girl at the counter asked another person who told her they didn’t have any… and I sadly resigned.
But then a shining light came down upon us and one of the bakers said that if I could wait 5 minutes… then they’d have one out for me, since they were still frosting them! Yippee!
She even asked if I wanted a special message written on it, and I had them write out happy birthday to my dad.
Now I didn’t get to taste that Boston Creme cupcake, but I’m sure it was delicious. And I thought it was so sweet that they were able to write a special message on the cupcake.
In addition to the Boston Creme, I got a few others… I couldn’t resist, after all. From the top left: The Mustachio, Colin’s Peanut ButterWag, Chocolate Toffee, Strawberry Kiss and Beeze-kneeze
The Mustachio made me laugh. Plus… it’s got pistachio in it. AWESOME.
Full description: “White chocolate pistachio cake with pistachio buttercream complete with a chocolate mustache”
The cake was moist and light and the buttercream really shined with the pistachio… you could even smell the pistachio-ness coming off of the cupcake. Super yummy.
The chocolate toffee was one of my favorites. Description: “Chocolate cake with caramel buttercream, dipped in milk chocolate sprinkled with homemade toffee”. Again – a super moist, rich and chocolaty cake. The caramel buttercream helps enrich and enhance the flavor of the toffee on the outside of the “dip”. I’ve always liked that they “dip” their frosting in chocolate – reminds me of that instant hardening chocolate you get when you order a chocolate dipped cone.
The cupcake with the bee on it sadly totally melted away since I left it out on the countertop. The honey buttercream was still tasty though, even though it dripped all over the box (oops).
The strawberry was good, though not really memorable if you ask me and the peanut butter wag I have had before and still really enjoy (it’s got the “dip” thing too like the chocolate toffee, but with peanut butter buttercream and peanuts on the outside instead).
All in all, Elizabethan Desserts does make some damn fine and delicious cupcakes. If ever I’m not in the mood or don’t have time to make them myself, I consider them to be my “back-up plan”.
155 Quail Garden Dr.
Encinitas, CA. 92024
Open Tues – Sat / 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- mamma teresa / poway – san diego, ca
- bears den at pine knot guest ranch / big bear lake, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (6)
- mary: Oh I forgot you went here too! It’s not super close to my work but close enough! I’ll have to ask about the desserts sometime.
- caninecologne: Yay! I wish my work was close to this place! I’d be there like everyday! I like how open the restaurant it. Nice sparse decor too. We...
- mary: Parking is a big worry for me, too! Hard to park = I don’t want to go! Yeah, the HH prices aren’t stellar, but maybe they are just extra...
- mary: It was awesome! I even asked if they had the mushroom soup that day since I remembered the photo of it on your blog (that Dennis had) but they...
- Faye: Oh wow – your sandwich looks amazing! I like brie too – esp when it’s melted. But everything in your sandwich seems to really...
- Jinxi: Ooh yay! I’m glad you tried it out and liked it D
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because) (2)
- mary: Haha, I didn’t even see that on the menu.. I didn’t know it could be Chilean either!