It’s been awhile since I’ve been to the Kebab Shop. But I was recently invited to come in and try the menu again and I happily accepted.
I revisited the one in Mira Mesa and was happy to see they have expanded to include two new locations in Encinitas, CA and Little Italy. The Kebab Shop serves up the kind of food you’re used to seeing at Greek places, but slightly different. Their main item are their Doner Kebabs (sort of like a gyro, but wrapped in flatbread instead of pita bread), Shawarma (think sandwiches) and Shish Kebab. They also offer a variety of salads and plates of meats to round out their menu. I got a bunch of stuff to-go and take home for sharing.
[Cucumber Dill Salad, Greek Salad and Hummus]
The Cucumber Dill Salad was one of my favorite salad items here. I’m often afraid that the dill will be overpowering, but on this it had just the right amount – enough to taste the dill without the overkill. The cucumbers are completely peeled and have a nice crunch to them.
The Hummus (which came with pita bread, not shown) was a nice creamy and smooth consistently with a good bit of flavor. Salad is pretty much salad, but it was fresh and crisp and came with a tasty dill dressing (again, not overpowering, woo).
I also got an order of freshly made Falafel – I’m not the biggest fan of falafel to begin with so I wasn’t totally digging on this one. They seemed to be a bit overcooked and dry. Or maybe I just don’t like falafel.
[Lamb Rotisserie Plate with Greek Salad and Saffron Rice]
This probably looks familiar! They have lamb on a spit that they shave off and serve as a plate with two sides. You get a yogurt based sauce with this (not quite like tzatziki sauce but similar – no cucumber detected in their sauce) and your choice of two sides. I added Greek salad and saffron rice to this.
This is one of the shish kebab’s – chicken, to be exact. It had a nice slightly charred flavor though I found it to be a tad dry for my tastes.
[Moroccan Shrimp Kebab with Minted Orzo Zucchini and Saffron Rice]
The Moroccan Shrimp on the other hand was really lovely and tasty and is made with a Moroccan Chermoula sauce which lends the shrimp a nice flavor. Nice and juicy, I really enjoyed the shrimp a lot and you get a fairly good serving size.
The Minted Orzo though, I didn’t care for it very much. It tasted a bit too tangy for me and I just didn’t want to eat it anymore after a few bites. The saffron rice I do like though, reminds me a bit of a pilaf and you can see the bits of saffron in within the rice which gives it a bit of a fragrance.
[Doner Box with Lamb and Saffron Rice]
My favorite item was actually the Doner Box – which was kind of an afterthought to my order. I mostly wanted it for the photo to see it all mixed together in one box but for some reason I really liked it. I think I liked it so much because the sauce is put on for you and I really love the yogurt based sauce (and can you see all of those lovely herbs in there?). This box had saffron rice and lamb, with the fixing for a doner kebab, but without the flatbread. It comes PACKED with meat (on the top and on the bottom, with rice in the middle), lots of sauce, tomatoes, onions and cucumbers.
I liked the Doner Box so much that I’ve already gone back and tried it with the fries instead – and it’s sort of like eating carne asada fries, but with yogurt sauce and lamb. Man, it’s crazy good.
Disclaimer: I was invited to come do a tasting at the restaurant and all food was complimentary. I was not paid for this review and all opinions are my own. Thanks to BAM Communications for the invite!
The Kebab Shop
Multiple Locations in San Diego
9450 Mira Mesa Blvd.
San Diego, CA 92126
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (7)
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)