One day I was at Ralph’s and I was in the mood to bake something.
A bread, since I’ve been obsessed with them lately.
I roamed the aisles, trying to find some inspiration.
On a whim, I went over to look at the fruit. Lo and behold, they had big baskets of fresh blueberries on sale for $1.99! Like, the BIG baskets! I got so excited I bought two baskets.
I froze one basket and the other I used to make some this AWESOME lemon blueberry bread.
I also used Meyer lemons from our backyard of course.
Everyone should have a Meyer lemon tree. It’s like the best tree EVER.
The blueberries were very, very sweet. I ate a handful before making this bread.
I think I’m going to make a pie with the frozen ones. This recipe caught my eye. I think I could still use those frozen berries.
Anyway. This bread! It’s got a lovely punch of lemon and the blueberries are perfectly sweet in this. This bread went away very quickly. I wish I had made two loafs at once.
I’ve learned my lesson. Make more bread at once!
The original recipe called for a glaze, which I skipped. I didn’t want the extra sugar, but feel free to glaze away, my friends. I also used oil instead of butter so it would be a little moister for my tastes and omitted the nuts.
Lemon Blueberry Bread
(adapted from Taste of Home)
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a loaf pan – 8-in. x 4-in. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and set aside.
Mix oil and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients until blended, then add milk.
Put the blueberries into a bowl with a couple of tablespoons of flour. Coat the blueberries in flour. This helps them stay afloat in the batter.
Add flour dusted blueberries and lemon peel to the batter. Fold in gently.
Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes. Toothpick should come out clean – that’s when you really know it’s done and ready!
about this site
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!)
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- d bar / hillcrest – san diego
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!) (14)
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt (9)