Last month Jake and I took the kids out for a little treat. We spend an afternoon at Nickle City and then used the “Hotel Tonight” application on my iPhone to get ourselves a cheap room for the evening. I had a discount for $50 off, which was just another reason to get a hotel for the night. We ended up staying at the Porto Vista hotel in Little Italy and I loved that all the restaurants were in walking distance of the hotel. The next morning we walked one block down to Influx Cafe and had ourselves a mighty fine breakfast before checkout.
We sat outside in between the buildings and this was the view looking up. I just loved the angles.
[the "bct" - toasted bagel topped with bacon, cream cheese and tomato - $4.50]
I got this at the Influx Cafe in Golden Hills, too. But I love bagels with cream cheese, bacon and tomato. This used to be a staple that I would get on my way to my old job from a little bagel place on the other side of Mira Mesa. It’s too out of the way for me to go there now, but I have to say I prefer this version.
The tomatoes were super crisp and fresh. I hate mushy tomatoes. Refuse to eat them. They make my mouth so, so sad.
But crispy tomatoes make me happy! And so does crispy bacon. This open faced bagel sandwich was a marriage made in heaven.
[house made granola with your choice of milk - $4.50]
A. decided she wanted some granola that morning. She sat and picked all of the dried cranberries out of the granola. I thought it was kind of funny.
She let us have the last couple of bites. It was very good granola. It stayed crunchy even after being in milk for awhile and had a nice, lightly sweet flavor.
[house made oatmeal - $4.50 / raisins .50]
This is S.’s oatmeal. I didn’t get to try any. Also, I hate a raisins. But since this wasn’t my oatmeal, that was perfectly fine.
The other thing I loved about having breakfast in Little Italy was that we saw so many puppies down there! There were a ton of people out walking their dogs and I loved the sight of all of those happy little faces while we had breakfast. It put a smile on my face right at the start of the day!
[View from the top of the Porto Vista hotel]
Pretty, pretty harbor view. I live in such a lovely city!
750 West Fir St
San Diego, CA 92101
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...