I was left to my own devices one recent Saturday afternoon and I thought, “You should treat yourself to some lunch.” I agreed with myself and began a little internet search to figure out where to go for lunch that was somewhat nearby. I was on call for work so I needed to be able to get back to a computer if necessary. After some hunting, reading menus and blog posts, I decided to go somewhere I had never been before: Bully’s East.
Since I was going to lunch and only treating myself, I figured it wouldn’t cost quite as much. Plus, they had a menu item that made my mouth water as soon as I read about it. I took some reading material with me and drove over to Mission Valley to check out Bully’s East.
The interior is quite dark – very typical of steakhouses as far as I’m concerned. I got a cozy booth all to myself next to the bar and proceeded to start reading since I already knew what I was going to order.
To my surprise my lunch item came with 2 sides. This is one of them, a simple Garden Salad. Dressed with a balsamic vinaigrette the salad was crisp and had a little veggie variety. I didn’t really care for the dressing – it didn’t really taste like balsamic – it tasted kind of watered down so I didn’t finish my whole salad.
I got the Prime Rib Melt ($13.95) for my lunch along with a side of garlic mashed potatoes. The sandwich is on sourdough bread with grilled onions and provolone cheese. On the side you get a cup of au jus and some horseradish sauce. I carefully spooned some au jus onto my meat before digging in. The prime rib was thinly sliced and tender and had lots of melted, gooey cheese. Think souped up patty melt! I could have gone for my bread being slightly more crisp, but still this sandwich was super tasty.
The garlic mashed potatoes were pipped in a pretty way onto my plate and were very smooth and creamy. I ate half of my sandwich and half the potatoes so I could have leftovers. I had to reign myself in to not eat all of the mashed potatoes in one sitting, they were so creamy and good! I saved my leftovers and had them the next day for lunch. I reheated the sandwich and the potatoes in the oven for a little while and they held up quite well the next day, so I was able to spread out the cost of this meal as well. Score!
This really was quite an indulgent meal – I wouldn’t normally want to spend this much on a lunch item, but I was feeling generous to myself. It was totally worth it.
2401 Camino Del Rio South
San Diego, CA 92108-3701
Mon-Fri: 11AM – 2AM
Sat-Sun: 10AM – 2AM
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- breakfast at wich addiction / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- [recipe] strawberry lime cheesecake bars
- college area taste / april 13th, 2014 + win tickets!
- babs (bao’s awesome burgers) / convoy – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca (4)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Yeah, it was a bummer. I think the food truck might have been a better choice, haha! I try to shy away from buffets, I never feel like...
- lynn: Awww, too bad you guys had to wait so long for mediocre food! I wonder what it would have been like (food and wait) at the first place! The food truck...
- mary: Hi Carla – I wish we had tried the taco truck instead of the restaurant!
- Carla Pullum: I was just there last night! I love getting a bite off the Taco truck and man there food is so good! Great review! You got me wanting to go...
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets! (10)
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq (4)
- mary: Hi Kirk – I did the foil method the last time I tried this but I had made a few missteps with it that a) I partially wanted to see how it would...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits