Update: This location is now closed.
I was invited to come and try some complimentary gelato this past weekend from the folks at Fishman Public Relations. I was excited to try a new gelato place and to have the kids come along for a tasting. Check it out!
Paciugo Gelato is a national chain specializing in natural made Italian gelato. Each store makes their gelato on site, using only fresh ingredients, resulting in delicious tasting gelato. This specific store is located within the Plaza Bonita mall next to the food court, making Italian gelato accessible to American families here in San Diego.
When you first walk up to the gelato counter, you’re immediately assaulted with the visuals of so many gelato flavors! Above here’s a view of some of their sorbets – all fruit flavors, such as Jackfruit, Tutti Frutti, Lime Mojito and Strawberry Balsamic. I had little samples of the Jackfruit and Strawberry Balsamic which were quite good, but I had my eye on creamier treats.
Here’s a view of some of the other flavors. Their Black Cherry Swirl (upper row, middle) is their most popular flavor. The cherries are imported from Italy and used fresh to give it a distinct flavor. I’m not a big fan of cherries myself, but if you are then you would really enjoy this flavor.
Yes, there’s even more gelato, such as Mint Chocolate Chip and one of my favorites, “Berry White” – a gelato with white chocolate and raspberries (an item I eventually got for my “full size” cup).
On the end here are some other gelatos, such as Chocolate Chocolate Chip, Hazelnut Crunch, Rocky Road and Sea Salt Caramel. I can’t even remember all of the flavors that I tried, but every one was creamy and rich and full of flavor.
The flavors I ended up getting were: Hazelnut Crunch, Berry White and Sea Salt Caramel (with pecans). I can’t deny my intense love for all things Hazelnut. They had 2 hazelnut flavors – one was a bit chocolaty with the flavor of hazelnut in the background while the Hazelnut Crunch had the actual crunch from the nuts which I liked even more.
Here’s my cup of gelato next to S.’s cup of gelato. The gelato was so creamy and rich. I stood there and ate my whole cup while Jake chatted away with the owner of the shop, Alex, who was really nice and accommodating as the kids, Jake and I sampled tons of flavors before we could actually decide on what we wanted. The sea salt caramel gelato was also one of my favorites – really simple flavors, but intense and rich with a slight hint of the sea salt. And with the Berry White gelato I loved the pieces of white chocolate throughout my tasting.
Prices start at $3 for a small cup – well worth it for some really stellar and rich tasting gelato. If you’re in the Plaza Bonita area, then definitely hit up Paciugo Gelato for a nice, creamy treat!
Thanks to Alex and the PR folks at Fishman Public Relations for setting up this wonderful tasting for us!
Paciugo Gelato Caffe
3030 Plaza Bonita Road
National City, California 91950
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- dinosaurs and date shake tasting – hadley vs shields / palm springs, ca
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...
- caninecologne: My favorite pocky flavor besides the original is the “Men’s” pocky. it’s covered in dark and slightly bitter...
- mary: The Matcha Pocky was on sale at Mitsuwa yesterday for $1.49 a box. The prices there ranged from $1.49 to $2.39 a box, depending on which flavor you...
- Faye: My sis and I grew up on Pocky too. We adored it (just the regular ones dipped in chocolate). I’ve wanted to try the Matcha Pocky but it’s...
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway! (2)
- mary: I bought the dried porcini so it was a little less expensive. I didn’t need a ton of it either, so I just looked through them all until I found...