I will fess up and say I didn’t know about this place until I saw it on the Food Network. I saw it a long time ago, too, but didn’t visit. Jake and I drove by once with the kids and it looked super busy and we didn’t go in. For some reason Jake decided we should swing by and try it one Sunday afternoon. I was super tired that day because I had flown back in from Seattle and I had been up since 3:30AM. You can bet that I thought getting pizza was a better idea than going home and making dinner.
We visited the Golden Hills location, but they got another set of digs over in North Park off of El Cajon Blvd. The Golden Hills one has an outdoor patio area with benches and chairs. It lends very well to our fine, fine weather.
We got a simple pizza. Sausage pizza with ricotta cheese ($13.75 for a cheese pizza, $1.50 per topping). They ran out of ricotta cheese though and offered to give us our money back for the extra topping but still put the ricotta cheese on half of the pizza. Swell.
We also got extra sauce on one half (Jake like his pizza saucy) and of course they put the ricotta on that side. No matter. I still ate one of the slices with extra sauce and ricotta because I really like ricotta on my pizza.
I enjoyed the pizza. I’m so picky about pizza crust. If it’s soggy, I don’t like. Too crispy, I don’t like it. I’m all about the crust. Pizzeria Luigi’s crust is thin, crisp and slightly chewy. I liked it. It wasn’t too thin and it wasn’t soggy at all. Score. The sausage was just okay but damn, I really did like that ricotta addition. Too bad it wasn’t all over the pizza. The dollops don’t bother me, I like little pockets of extra goodness. I enjoyed this pizza.
Jake didn’t like the pizza as much as I did, but who’s the food blogger here? I just thought I’d throw his opinion in there for fun. I don’t even remember what he didn’t like. Don’t listen to him.
1137 25th Street
San Diego, CA 92102
2121 El Cajon Boulevard
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
- the deliciousness of d bar / win a gift card to d bar
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!)
- macaroni and cheese balls / stremicks heritage organic milk giveaway
- my salty obsession / win a tropical sea salt
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest
- mushroom + cheese feast [bacon wrapped mushrooms & mushroom souffle]
- red velvet donuts at granny’s donuts / lakewood, ca
- via lago trattoria by busalacchi / eastlake – chula vista, ca
- tropical star restaurant & specialty market / clairemont – san diego, ca
- can cheddar make the breadstick better? / o’s american kitchen
- blogiversary week + giveaway to big bite bacon fest (23)
- cookies, silicone baking mats & you (win a baking mat!) (19)