Update: This bakery is now closed.
There was a stellar deal on BuyWithMe not too long ago for $5 for $10 worth of baked goodies at George’s Wonderful World of Cakes in National City and I couldn’t pass up such a great deal. Here’s a little review of the items I tried there with my coupons.
The Strawberry Pie ($12.75) is an item that I got twice because it was just that good. Fresh strawberries, whipped cream, a creamy sweet custard and delicious, flaky pie crust make for a pie that can do no wrong. I love the thick layer of whipped cream (real, fresh whipped cream) piled across the top of the pie, too. Very good!
These are some coffee/breakfast cakes ($6.50) that they sell. These are different than the ones I’m used to seeing in the grocery store since they’re rounded and in a spiral shape. On top, we have half of a lemon coffee cake, half of a pecan coffee cake and on the bottom that’s an apple coffee cake. I think my favorite is the apple. These cakes are moist and tasty and taste so much fresher than anything you’d get at the grocery store. I hardly had any of the lemon coffee cake since it was devoured by my family and by Jake. Must be good if so many people ate so much of it!
This is a Lemon Snow Cupcake ($1.50). It’s got a vanilla cupcake base with I believe lemon curd and coconut on top. Light and totally messy with a nice mild lemon flavor. The cake on this one was better than on the other cupcakes I tried. Sweet, moist and tasty.
These are 2 cupcakes I had on my first visit. The left one is vanilla with whipped cream frosting and the right one is chocolate with whipped cream frosting. I really like the frosting, it wasn’t too sweet though it was tasting not as fresh. The cupcakes were really dry and only edible with the frosting on them. I didn’t like the cake by itself since it was just too dry – it tasted like it had been sitting around for a long time.
George’s Wonderful World of Cakes offers up various cakes and pies as well as cream puffs, eclairs, cookies and diabetic friendly treats. The diabetic friendly sweets I saw were mostly cookies; I’m not sure if they have or make other diabetic friendly items (such as cakes). It’s a good bakery with some sweet options (like that Strawberry Pie!) if you’re down in National City or are craving some baked goodies.
George’s Wonderful World of Cakes
1519 Highland Ave
(between 15th St & 16th St)
National City, CA 91950
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...