a tale of two pans: cream pan and the apple pan

I thought this post was going to be a recipe on how to bake stuff in pans when I first saw title. That’s too funny you visited 3 places with ‘pan’ in the name. The first stop looked so good – is there a Japanese bakery here in SD that’s similar. I’m trying to think. The ham and cheese croissant looked amazing with all the cheese oozing out. I envy how your boys will do a food run all the way to LA based on a tv show. The apple pie looks like it’s swimming in some sort of soup?

It was a coincidence that we were going to 2 “pan” places so we threw in the third one for fun. Hmm… I don’t know of a place here that’s similar. I heard that Sage French Cake is Japanese/French but I haven’t been there so I don’t know if they just do cakes or also croissants and things. Blog research! The ham & cheese one is sooooo good, that oozed out cheese gets a little crunchy when you retoast it, I love it. I am lucky to have someone willing to do crazy food runs with me, hooray! The apple pie wasn’t swimming in soup (haha), it was just that when he cut it into thirds some of the filling oozed out. It’s just apple pie juices!

2. Great post. I like how spontaneous you guys are. I AM SO ANAL and like to plan things out with plan B and C. I’ve been wanting to try Apple Pan and your post is our preview.

Mary and Faye, unfortunately there are no Japanese bakeries in SD that are equivalent to what Cream Pan offers. Sage does cakes but nothing like that strawberry croissant. The closest would be Paris Baguette Or 85c vutbtheir styles are different.

Our road trips to LA are never complete unless we go to Cream Pan first.

Thanks, CC! Okay, I didn’t have a B and C plan but I figured it would be open. I looked around for other possible places to visit and we did also fit in a donut stop but that didn’t fit my cool “pan” theme so I’ll save it for later. I didn’t think there was anything quite like Cream Pan down here, but a girl can wish, can’t she? haha

3. Sandy says:

I love Cream Pan, too, and make a stop every time we drive north. I reheat the strawberry croissants in the toaster oven to crisp them up; if you don’t heat them too long, the filling is fine.

That’s an excellent point, Sandy! I do get worried about ruining the filling but if it’s quick it should be fine. There is a serious lack of toaster ovens at Jake’s so I wasn’t able to heat them up. Next time I’ll just eat it immediately. 🙂

4. cream pan sounds awesome! those buns look so fluffy. and the apple pan burgers look good too, i usually prefer simple burgers to the crazy ones with extra meats and other things in the middle.

LA trips can be a bit of a drag (urgh the traffic) but they do have some good food up there.

That’s about the only thing we like about LA – the food! Especially the Chinese food, om nom nom. I prefer simpler burgers, too. We don’t need to get super crazy you know. Meat and cheese and onion is enough to make me happy usually!

5. Cathy says:

Paper cones were always the way water was served at Coneys and Sweet Shops (small diners that had a soda bar/ice cream) in Detroit when I grew up. I can’t wait for our monthly drives to Pasadena to resume…Cream Pan opens at 6 and it’s not crowded then. We talk about Apple Pan, but have always been diverted; it looks good.

Hi Cathy – I like the paper cones! I hadn’t seen that before so it was fun to see a place still doing it that way. Luckily the line tends to move pretty fast at Cream Pan and isn’t too terrible a wait since we always stop there on our way up north, even if Cream Pan is a little out of the way.