I’m always the planner whenever we go on trips. I actually like doing the research and picking out a place for us to stay in addition to the checking out a few potential eating spots. I’m not sure if this makes me anal or just a good planner… maybe a little of both?
Ultimately I picked out this little cabin (vacation home, actually, it’s just fun to call it a cabin) for Jake, Chris and I to stay at in Big Bear. I liked the look of the place from the website plus it had a full kitchen and it’s own private jacuzzi. The jacuzzi thing is always Jake’s one request whenever we stay somewhere and there have been a few times where the jacuzzi wasn’t working or they were remodeling and I had a bit of a sad/grumpy Jake on my hands. Luckily that was not the case this time!
Here’s the outside of the house, all covered in snow.
This is a bit of a side view, you can see my car in the driveway. We didn’t have access to the garage. I liked that the fence had the tree shaped cut into it.
This is the fully stocked full kitchen with hard wood floors. This kitchen had just about everything we needed to do some home cooked dinners for the next couple of days! In front of this area, just next to the doorway, was another table plus a washer/dryer.
This is the living room, which was quite cozy. Off to the side (not pictured) is a full dining room + table and chairs. The only complaints I had about this place where a few broken furniture items (the lazy boy was broken and when I sat in one of the dining room chairs I almost toppled over since one leg was broken and the shower head dropped off while I was taking a shower… hmm!).
They provided one bundle of pine firewood that was included with the price. One bundle lasted about 1 and 1/2 hours. We purchased an additional bundle and then ended up buying some more from a local grocery store. We made s’mores on our second night!
Here’s the backyard with a deck, table and chairs. There was also a BBQ grill, good for summer time!
I didn’t photograph the bedrooms for some reason, but they were both queen sized beds, comfortable and cozy. There were plenty of extra blankets and pillows in the closet (plus down comforters) to keep us warm during the cool night. There’s also one more sleeper sofa in the living room in case you needed a little extra room.
They even had Monopoly, Sorry, and Clue. I spent the first night reorganizing the Monopoly game because it was all out of order and it was driving me nuts… We played that the next night and set it up for the “Quick Version” which ended in about 10 minutes… I blamed Chris for not shuffling the cards very well and my bad luck for landing on his Hoteled property two rounds in a row. Oy.
Wi-fi is also included with the price. This house is on a pretty quiet street (though really, the whole area is pretty quiet). The house is very cozy and clean and despite the few broken pieces, we really enjoyed our stay here. I’d have no qualms about staying here for a few nights again (maybe in the summer!).
Pine Knot Guest Ranch
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca (4)
- college area taste 2014 recap (10)
- mary: Hi Cynthia! Haha, I totally don’t mind being stopped to a chat, if you see me again say hi!! We had our tupperware stored in a backpack for Taste...
- cynthia: I saw you guys at Taste of Hillcrest but… I don’t know, just didn’t want to seem like a weirdo talking to you! haha I didn’t...
- mary: Hi CC – If we hadn’t done the take out box, I don’t think we’d have been able to do this many places! The take out box let us...
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits