I had an old friend visiting from out of town and decided to take her someplace new for breakfast one recent Sunday morning. It was kind of on a whim. I hadn’t really heard much about Claire’s on Cedros in Solana Beach, but I took a peek at their website (which I loved) and at their menu and saw that instead of pancakes they had “Clairecakes”. I thought that was so cute! And that’s was the deciding factor. Cute things really catch my interest.
We went pretty early on a Sunday morning. The restaurant is a renovated old house on the edge of the Design District in Solana Beach, right near the train station. The place was pretty busy, but luckily we got there early enough that we only had to wait for a few minutes before being seated. The restaurant itself had a very natural, organic, nature, DIY kind of vibe to it. There were all sorts of nature knick knacks all over the walls. There’s an outdoor seating area in the back patio (which is dog-friendly) and a bakery in the corner for to-go goodies (such as scones, muffins, cookies, jams, coffee, granola and more).
My friend and I were seated in a lovely spot near some windows where we were able to chat and enjoy the early morning.
[Chai Latte - $3.75]
She started off with coffee. I am no longer able to drink coffee without having a major stomach ache for the whole day, so I opted to get a chai latte instead. It makes me feel like I’m having coffee without all of the coffee. This particular chai latte was really warm and lovely. It was sweet, but not overbearing and the mixture of spices smelled and tasted wonderful.
[Pumpkin Clairecakes Combo with cinnamon butter - $9.95]
pancakes Clairecakes options, you can get Original (cinnamon), Multigrain (oat & whole wheat), or Pumpkin. There are also a variety of add-ins (add for 1.00 each: pecans, choc chips, bananas, strawberries, blueberries or add for 2.00: mixed berries) for your heart’s desire. I got the combo which came with 2 eggs and your choice of meat (mine was bacon). My friend and I got the same thing and we agreed – these pumpkin clairecakes were really awesome!
The cinnamon butter was also really excellent – smeared on the pancakes it gave it a great kick of flavor. I didn’t need much syrup poured on these – they were light, fluffy and moist. I actually only ate one and brought the other home for Jake to try. I tried to save him some bacon, too, but I just couldn’t do it. The bacon was perfectly crispy and thick cut and I gobbled it all up. I couldn’t help myself. Even the scrambled eggs were good – fluffy and moist and not overdone.
All in all I was pretty happy with the food I tried out here. I also got some cookies and a lemon glazed scone to take home for later, and the baked goods were also really excellent.
If it were a bit closer, I would be here way more often. As it is, I might either sneak off one day for breakfast by myself or drag someone to come up here with me. I need more bacon and Clairecakes in my life!
Claire’s on Cedros
246 North Cedros
Solana Beach, CA 92075
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca
- college area taste 2014 recap
- valley farm bbq / spring valley, ca
- cape town pub south african fusion / miramar – san diego, ca
- ‘rita’s cantina @ harrah’s / valley center, ca
- [recipe] green bean salad + homemade bbq
- mr. peabody’s bar & grill / encinitas, ca
- supernatural sandwiches / miramar – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] taste of hillcrest coming up on april 19th, 2014 + win tickets!
- [recipe] easy one pot tomato basil pasta
- college area taste 2014 recap (9)
- cynthia: I saw you guys at Taste of Hillcrest but… I don’t know, just didn’t want to seem like a weirdo talking to you! haha I didn’t...
- mary: Hi CC – If we hadn’t done the take out box, I don’t think we’d have been able to do this many places! The take out box let us...
- caninecologne: Man, you guys went to a lot of places! Troopers all the way! Having the take out box was a good idea! Cold Mexican food should be a crime! As...
- mary: The takeaway box was such a great idea! We did the same thing at Hillcrest but we brought tupperware that time. Jake carried the box and he...
- pauly’s pizza joint / miramar – san diego, ca (3)
Blogs I Follow
- my burning kitchen
- meandering eats
- three dog kitchen
- kirbie's cravings
- a radiused corner
- food is my favorite
- pink candles at ridgemont high
- convoy conquest
- san diego sugar
- rodzilla reviews
- food revu
- nerds with food
- jinxi eats
- faye's fork
- sun diego eats
- gastro bits