I had an old friend visiting from out of town and decided to take her someplace new for breakfast one recent Sunday morning. It was kind of on a whim. I hadn’t really heard much about Claire’s on Cedros in Solana Beach, but I took a peek at their website (which I loved) and at their menu and saw that instead of pancakes they had “Clairecakes”. I thought that was so cute! And that’s was the deciding factor. Cute things really catch my interest.
We went pretty early on a Sunday morning. The restaurant is a renovated old house on the edge of the Design District in Solana Beach, right near the train station. The place was pretty busy, but luckily we got there early enough that we only had to wait for a few minutes before being seated. The restaurant itself had a very natural, organic, nature, DIY kind of vibe to it. There were all sorts of nature knick knacks all over the walls. There’s an outdoor seating area in the back patio (which is dog-friendly) and a bakery in the corner for to-go goodies (such as scones, muffins, cookies, jams, coffee, granola and more).
My friend and I were seated in a lovely spot near some windows where we were able to chat and enjoy the early morning.
[Chai Latte - $3.75]
She started off with coffee. I am no longer able to drink coffee without having a major stomach ache for the whole day, so I opted to get a chai latte instead. It makes me feel like I’m having coffee without all of the coffee. This particular chai latte was really warm and lovely. It was sweet, but not overbearing and the mixture of spices smelled and tasted wonderful.
[Pumpkin Clairecakes Combo with cinnamon butter - $9.95]
pancakes Clairecakes options, you can get Original (cinnamon), Multigrain (oat & whole wheat), or Pumpkin. There are also a variety of add-ins (add for 1.00 each: pecans, choc chips, bananas, strawberries, blueberries or add for 2.00: mixed berries) for your heart’s desire. I got the combo which came with 2 eggs and your choice of meat (mine was bacon). My friend and I got the same thing and we agreed – these pumpkin clairecakes were really awesome!
The cinnamon butter was also really excellent – smeared on the pancakes it gave it a great kick of flavor. I didn’t need much syrup poured on these – they were light, fluffy and moist. I actually only ate one and brought the other home for Jake to try. I tried to save him some bacon, too, but I just couldn’t do it. The bacon was perfectly crispy and thick cut and I gobbled it all up. I couldn’t help myself. Even the scrambled eggs were good – fluffy and moist and not overdone.
All in all I was pretty happy with the food I tried out here. I also got some cookies and a lemon glazed scone to take home for later, and the baked goods were also really excellent.
If it were a bit closer, I would be here way more often. As it is, I might either sneak off one day for breakfast by myself or drag someone to come up here with me. I need more bacon and Clairecakes in my life!
Claire’s on Cedros
246 North Cedros
Solana Beach, CA 92075
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- peri peri / torrey highlands – san diego, ca
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Kirk – Wow, you tried it 3-4 times?! I’m glad someone else can confirm that it wasn’t just me who had a bad meal!
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)