urge american gastropub / rancho bernardo | san diego, ca

I’ve been curious to go back and see if any of their dishes have changed. We did go back to try their burgers, which were a 500% improvement from the first time we went, but still kind of okay. I have yet to find anything on their menu that really impresses me, although I do like their cheese fries. But, what’s not to love about cheese fries? And, I like that you can order a “taste” of beer, which is usually all I need, too.

Haven’t tried the wings yet… maybe we’ll start with those!

2. mary says:

I would go back and just order wings. Nothing really jumped out at me when we were there – probably because I wasn’t in the mood for a burger and it seems like they have mostly burgers. The cheese fries did sound good, but we opted for those wings instead!

3. Grant says:

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback. I apologize about the pepper flavor in the beer cheese soup. I’m not sure how that could have happened. It’s by far, one of our most popular dishes (as are our Beer Cheese Fries) and this is the first comment I’ve ever heard about a pepper flavor at all. We add some fresh cracked pepper to taste but it’s minimal. That being said, I really appreciate the fact that you liked the wings. If I had a nickel for every time someone has said, “they’re not hot enough” I could retire. They are not SUPPOSED to be hot. We wanted to do something different than every other bar in America. I’m pleased with the results and even more pleased that you “get it.” As far as the entrees, the Link of the Day is definitely a fan favorite but, as a rotating dish, it allows us to play with some flavor combinations and layers that may not be for everyone. Should you be so inclined to give us a second shot, it’s worth another try. Perhaps it will be more to your liking. Our entrees are burger-centric as the name “Urge” is Burger with the first and last letter dropped. While developing our American Gastropub concept, we felt that there was nothing more American than the burger. Try the BBQ Bacon Burger. We make the sauce in house using a sour cherry ale which gives it a little kick. It’s not exactly health food but it’s pretty fantastic. Also, the Beer Can Style Grilled Chicken that uses the Mary’s Farm Organic, Free-Range Chicken is really tasty.
    I hope this helps. Keep doing what you’re doing and spreading the gospel of good food. We’ll keep trying our best to improve the product we put on the plate. We hope our passion shines through.

4. mary says:

Hi Grant – Thanks for taking the time to respond! I didn’t get that about the name of the restaurant before and now it makes sense. I will swing by sometime when I’m in a “burger mood” – I just wasn’t in one when we went that time!

5. Grant says:

No problem! We look forward to having you in again. Ask for me when you stop by. I’d love to meet you if I’m in.

6. re: grant’s comment about the word “Urge” reminded me about this:

in the mid 80’s, there was a popular bumper sticker from in-n-out burger, with burger being on the second line. except that the ‘B’ and the “R” were removed, so it read as “In-n-out URGE”. ha ha ha! at the time, there weren’t any in-n-out’s in san diego and people drove up to l.a. just to get those stickers.

7. mary says:

I remember when the first in-n-out came to SD – in Lemon Grove – and I was in line in the car with my folks and it TOOK FOREVER. I’m sure it was good, but I think as a kid I was not happy to be in the car for that long. Sadly, don’t remember the bumper stickers, either. Had a short attention span as a child. 🙂

8. here’s a few links about the sticker. turns out it caused controversy because the founders are totally religious:

and here’s a link on someone’s flickr of the sticker:

these stickers are classic!

turns out that in n out had to redesign their stickers so people wouldn’t “modify” them. ha ha!

9. Grant says:

Interestingly enough, we didn’t even think about the old In-N-Out stuff until after we’d come up with the name. However, after someone pointed it out to us, it just kind of clicked from there. Please feel free to drop me a line when you pla on coming back to give us a second shot and as always, thanks for what you do. I’m a big believer in the blogosphere as a wonderful forum for engaging real people. grant@urgegastropub.com

10. mary says:

Thanks, Grant – I’ll be sure to drop you a line before we plan on visiting again.