I’m a little late to the game in making this post! At the end of January, I read about Bacon Bingo over at Darlene’s blog. I got really excited about it and decided that I would go. Darlene organized a little get together with a few other local bloggers, including Leanne and Marie, to get together for dinner and play bacon bingo. I dragged Jake along because I already told him about it and I already told him he was going. Come on, Bacon Bingo?! I didn’t know how he couldn’t be as excited about it as I was. His daughter, I believe, thought it was kind of dorky. Oh well. I’ve accepted my dorky nature and have decided to embrace it.
Even though I’m a blogger and I kind of put myself out there, I don’t really interact with a lot of other bloggers off-line. I once went to a day time food blog camp up in LA, though I felt kind of out of place there. Everyone seemed to be a recipe/cooking food blogger and a lot of the people there already knew each other. I felt out of my element there. I’m not exactly shy, but I know I’m a reserved person. But when Darlene invited me to for the little mini blogger outing, I felt excited and relaxed. I’ve followed Darlene’s, Leanne’s and Marie’s blogs for quite awhile now. I talk to them on twitter. I feel connected with them – someone else who likes to do what I do! No awkwardness when the camera’s are pulled out. No questions asked. A comfortable environment. I wonder why we hadn’t done something like this before?
Everything on the menu is made from locally made products.
We got 2 bowlfuls of these chips with a house made topping – a combination of a hot sauce, pork belly bits, peanuts and herbs of some kind. It was quite spicy for my taste buds so I only ate a few chips.
Bacon Bingo sheets were handed out to everyone who wanted to play. It started while we were waiting for our food to arrive and in between chats about various topics. They gave us a few daubers for us to share between us. One sheet per person, bacon bingo had a lull of about 20 minutes in between games. The prize? 1lb. of house made bacon.
We daubed and played three games total – the first game was won by Darlene. The second game was won by Leanne. Other patrons, including the owner, Jay, (and bingo caller) started to wonder if we were cheating. The third game was won by someone at another table and we ducked out before the fourth game started.
Even though I didn’t win any fabulous bacon, I did order a round of Pork Belly Tacos ($8) for myself. The pork belly was done just right – it had a nice slightly crisp exterior and a soft, tender taste as I chowed down. Very simple and not loaded up with sauces to hide the meat. I really enjoyed it.
Jake got a burger and fries and my photo of it was really horrible in the low light. He didn’t really care for his burger, but he really liked the fries and ordered another plate of them.
After leaving El Take It Easy, we ventured across the street to Heaven Sent Desserts for after dinner eats. Unfortunately, Jake and I weren’t able to stay for that since Jake had to get up early in the morning for work, so we just took 2 treats to go. He got a red velvet cupcake and I got a pistachio cake with ganache. I should have take a photo of the pistachio cake – my god, it was good.
We were sad to leave early, but enjoyed out evening out. It’s always nice being with people who understand what you do and who know the other bloggers in San Diego. We’re a small little community so hopefully we’ll get together more often!
El Take it Easy
3926 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- mary: Hi Darlene – It was kind of hard for us to find since we were looking for a separate building. It looks weird being at the bottom of an office...
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Hi Janice – Yeah, my mom isn’t really an adventurous eater. She didn’t used to be so critical about everything food-wise, but she...
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib (12)
- mary: Hi Lynn – Hmm, I’m not sure how they found me, I didn’t ask! I think they were just shooting in the dark and hoped I would use it....