Recently SignonSanDiego’s Daily Deal was a stellar price – $19 for $40 to visit Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern, which I visited earlier this year shortly after the restaurant first opened. Since I enjoyed it (and the view… and the dessert!) I decided a revisit was in order and this coupon was a great way to try out a few things I didn’t have the first time around at J-Fat.
This time my friend, Laura, and I visited and we sat outdoors at a little table overlooking the marina. It was a really lovely, slightly warm evening, perfect for sitting outdoors and enjoying the fresh air.
I finally got to try the Strawberry Ginger Deluxe ($9). I think Laura got the Bellini ($9), but now I can’t remember and looking at the photo isn’t jogging my memory! My strawberry ginger drink consisted of skyy vodka, ginger liqueur, strawberry juice, lemon juice, bitters, and brut champagne. I was expecting this to be a little fruitier and sweeter, but it was slightly tart. I still liked it though and drank the whole thing, it just wasn’t quite was I was expecting. Laura really wanted a fruity drink and after a little help from the waitress, picked out her drink which I do remember that she liked, even if I can’t remember the name of it…
On this particular evening I decided to *not* get a burger … though I wanted to… because I knew I was going to get burgers the next day with Jake. I opted instead to get this Mac & Cheese dish with asparagus, mushrooms and artichokes ($12, with chicken – $16) – and I added chicken for some protein.
While I did enjoy the overall flavor of this dish – it’s very rich and cheesy – after awhile it got to be “too much”. I think Mac & Cheese is really best left as a side dish, but it sounded so good to me that day! I got tired of eating this after awhile and took most of it home and enjoyed it the next day for lunch.
Laura got the Zinfandel Braised Short Ribs ($18) which came with mashed potatoes and green beans. She let me try some of the short ribs (and gave me a little more when I got sick of eating my mac & cheese) – the meat was quite tender and really good with the mashed potatoes.
I didn’t take a photo of it, but we also got that delicious dessert again – the vanilla bean ice cream with chocolate chip cookies, peanuts, hot fudge and whipped cream – oohhh, so good.
I think the next time I come here I’ll just sit on the patio with some friends and eat that really tasty dessert, and maybe an appetizer, and watch the sunset on the marina.
Earlier this month the restaurant announced some “Fall Specials”, including a ’3 for Three’ Happy Hour menu. Monday – Friday for 3 hours from 3:00 to 6:00pm, they are offering $3 draft beers, well drinks, and selected wines as well as $3 off all of their appetizers. Also on Tuesday’s they will be featuring “Lobster Taco Tuesday”. Don’t know the price of those, but might be worth checking out if you’re having a lobster craving. If you’re feeling in the mood to head down and watch a pretty sunset and try out some of their eats, this might be the time to check it out!
Read my original review of Jimmy’s here.
4990 N Harbor Dr
San Diego, CA 92106
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- firehouse subs revisit + giveaway!
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca
- red lobster / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- fluffy duffy’s snow cream / college – san diego, ca
- [recipe/review] peanut butter chocolate chip cookies
- [product review] – DressTiez clothing protector bib
- hogetsu bakery / chula vista, ca
- teriyaki grill / chula vista, ca
- revisit to callahan’s / mira mesa – san diego, ca
- veggie grill / utc – la jolla, ca
- country waffles / clairemont – san diego, ca (7)
- Kirk: Hi Mary – This place is terrible, tried it about 3-4 times when we moved a couple of miles away. Bitter orange juice, SYSCO products at...
- mary: Haha I thought so
- J.S. @ Sun Diego Eats: Sorry the food was kindof mediocre…however “barfed flowers all over the place” is the most perfect description for...
- mary: Hi CC – The one in Clairemont is kind of hidden, too. Must be some kind of weird theme… the wallpaper is pretty bad. I could also see the...
- caninecologne: Man, i’ve NEVER heard of this place and there’s one in CV too? gotta look that up or drive by or something. update – just...
- dave and buster’s – mission valley / san diego, ca (5)