Many moons ago when Alyssa first moved up to the Los Angeles area, one of the first places we ever went to was Auntie Em’s Kitchen in Eagle Rock. I wrote about it on my old personal blog, marking it as probably one of the first food related blog posts I ever made. And of course I took bad cell phone photos and only photographed my cupcake. Ho hum.
When I went to visit Alyssa again recently, we went to Auntie Em’s Kitchen again simply because it is totally delicious and I hadn’t been in a long time. I decided to not get what I got the last time (the Open Faced Grilled Steak Breakfast Sandwich), though the desire was strong to relive the glory of that dish. Instead I opted for Biscuits and Gravy on this go around.
I should actually say though that is it “Biscuit” and gravy, since it was one oversize biscuit in a bowlful of delicious gravy. I have no idea why I decided I needed eggs with this dish as well. Probably because I didn’t know just how large it would be.
Yes, my food was drowning in sweet, sweet sausage gravy. I was not able to eat much more of this, but it was so very good. The biscuit was nice and crumbly and cooked all of the way through, even though it was a massive sized biscuit. The gravy had a good flavor with nice chunks of sausage all over it. Drowning the biscuit didn’t make it too soggy, either, which I was slightly afraid of. Awesome.
Alyssa had some kind of massive breakfast sandwich, too, but I don’t even remember what it was. I must have been glamoured by my breakfast since I wasn’t able to remember anything else. Alyssa might be nice and comment what it was if she remembers.
We also got mini cupcakes and I got a huge oatmeal cream pie, but did I take a picture of those? Nope, I sure didn’t. But let me tell you, if you are there and you see the oatmeal cream pie, YOU SHOULD GET IT. It was moist. It was creamy. It has a ton of cream filling. It wasn’t overly sweet. It was perfect. I wish I had another one. Sigh.
Auntie Em’s Kitchen
4616 Eagle Rock Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90041
about this site
- summer cooking
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca
- coast of pacific beach restaurant walk 2013 – san diego, ca
- hash brown burritos at cotijas / tierrasanta – san diego, ca
- happy national donut day!
- [recipe] root beer float cookies
- britts bbq / el segundo, ca
- d bar winner!
- baking mat winner!
- [recipe] adventures in baking: homemade cronuts
- summer cooking (4)
- mary: I still have leftover pesto, I suspect I’ll be making that dish again this week! I love eating outdoors all the time now that it’s warm...
- mary: I got the idea from Julian Pie Company! They call them something else, like “memories” or something homey like that. Really easy to make...
- caninecologne: Everything you made looks so good, especially the pesto and the corn dogs! We have to clean our grill so we can start doing up summer...
- Jinxi: Mm this post made me hungry =) I love the idea of pie crust cookies! Now I know what to do with leftover pie crust!
- carnitas uruapan / la mesa – san diego, ca (8)
- mary: Have fun on your trip! Excited to hear about you have over in Taiwan! Will definitely keep you posted about any adobada places. Maybe we just need to...
- mary: Oh! I did not even notice that on the menu, Cathy! Thanks for the tip… will have to try that next time we go here.
- mary: They were very good here. I’d probably be content with just potato tacos and rolled tacos from here!