Eddie’s Philadelphia Steaks Hoagies & Burgers is a little joint in North Park across the street from Lefty’s Chicago Pizza. It amuses me that at the same intersection you’ve got foods representing the midwest and the east. Go North Park!
In any case, we stopped in for a visit to try out the place. It’s a pretty small place with a bunch of Philadelphia homages all over the walls, including posters, sports related things, concert posters and such. They have a few TV’s with various sports on and they have indoor and outdoor seating. Jake’s son and I both decided to try out the Philly Cheese Steaks and Jake opted for a burger. We also got some appetizers to start off, just so we could try a few things.
We got the BBQ Chicken Wings ($7) to start. Looking back, I wonder why we paid this much for wings, but at least they were pretty tasty. The sauce was sweet and slightly tangy and the wings had a nice crisp exterior to them. I even dipped them in the ranch dressing and they were tastier. The meat was juicy and it was cooked just right.
We also got a basket of Onion Rings ($2.99) for a side order. The burgers and steaks don’t come with any sides, you have to order them separately. Most of the sides are $1.99 (for things like baked beans, potato salad, coleslaw, etc.) and the fries and onion rings are $2.99. I liked this onion rings, but they’re not as good as my new favorite onion rings (from Phil’s BBQ), but they were good. Crisp and hot with a typical batter on them. The onions tended to fall out of the batter after a few bites, but I liked the crispiness of them.
At Eddie’s, they use the classic Amoroso roll for their steak sandwiches. I got a Cheesesteak with Onions and Provolone cheese ($7.25 – onions are extra). It was a good sandwich, just… not the best I’ve ever had. I felt like the meat could have used some seasoning to it, I ended up putting salt and pepper on it, and it didn’t seem very cheesy to me. Jake’s son got the cheese whiz version and he really liked it, but I am not a fan of the cheese whiz. His was definitely cheesier than mine but I think they could have put another slice of cheese on mine to bring it up to par. It wasn’t awful, just not exactly what I was expecting when I ordered it.
Jake was the winner of the night, ordering this Western Burger ($7.25) – a burger with onion rings, bacon, cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce. It was a really juicy and flavorful that I asked for second bites after I tried it. The BBQ sauce was sweet and not overpowering and the burger was HUGE. I could barely fit it in my mouth for a bite. Jake loved this burger, proclaiming it to be, “The best burger I’ve ever eaten… I want to sew my ass shut.” (That’s a “How I Met Your Mother” reference if you don’t know it).
Eddie’s Philadelphia Steaks Hoagies & Burgers
3501 30th Street
San Diego, CA 92104
about this site
| Download Media Kit
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky!
- dressing rehersal at whole foods market encinitas + holiday ideas + a giveaway!
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca
- [giveaway] daphne’s $50 gift card (just because)
- firehouse subs / sports arena – san diego, ca
- turkey day!
- lunching with co-workers
- thanksgiving side suggestions
- san diego pretzel company + giveaway!
- zooies cookies / san diego, ca (4)
- mary: Free freshly made cookie, too, don’t forget about that part! I know, it’s SO HARD being a food blogger, trying out so many foods....
- mary: Hahah, I love your comment Jinxi, hoping you run out of gas in the area. I haven’t seen a s’mores cookie or pumpkin pie cookie like these...
- Faye: Free cookie w/ a fill up?! WTF. Why can’t they do that at other gas stations. I love how you give such a comprehensive review on each cookie....
- Jinxi: Wow! That marshmallow swirl looks really yummy (I love goopy melty marshmallow, haha) Hopefully next time I’m in the area, I also happen to...
- bella vista social club & caffé / la jolla – san diego, ca (8)
- my favorite childhood treat: pocky! (4)
- mary: I always wondered why that called that one “men’” haha. Seemed so odd! I’m not a big dark chocolate fan so I’ve never...